Automobile, full size, Cadillac Model F car, engine No. 8303, made by Cadillac Automobile Co, Detroit, Michigan, United States of America, 1905, used by Sir Robert Lucas Lucas-Tooth, Sydney and Kameruka Estate, Candelo, New South Wales, Australia, 1905-1915
The Model F Cadillac is powered by an eight and a half horsepower engine which features a horizontal, cast-iron, single cylinder with a copper water jacket. The bore and stroke is 5 in x 5 in (127 mm x 127 mm). The engine is not located under the bonnet (this only contains the radiator water tank) but under the car and is chain driven to the rear wheels. The engine also features a carburettor of the updraft mixer type manufactured by Cadillac. The chassis has a spur gear differential with an overall ratio of 3.1:5:1, two forward speeds and one reverse, planetary transmission and a radiator of the two-layer finned watertube type. The gear change lever and the brake lever are on the outside of the body. The wheel base is 76 inches, (1.93 m), the overall length is 9 feet 4 inches (2.84 m) and the height is 7 feet (2.13 m). The brakes are mechanical on two wheels contracting on inboard drums. The wheels are 12-spoke wooden artillery wheels and the car is currently fitted with Dunlop tyres. Model F options included a bulb horn (incomplete) and lights (Lanternes / G. Ducellier / Paris) of which both have been attached to the car. The car was originally fitted with a two-door touring body, with two bucket seats in the front and a rear bench seat, both of diamond-patterned, hand-buffed, black leather. The rear seats of the car were removed and the sides cut down to form a rear cargo area, in fact an early type of utility. This was achieved in a very professional manner including the addition of a very neat metal surround on the top section of the "tray" area. There are two crank handles loose in the cargo area of the vehicle and a compartment for the battery box under the floor of the left hand front passenger area. A rectangular container on the left hand running board may have been for an acetylene tank for lighting. A bracket on the front dashboard may have had a headlight.