The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.

1905 Reo model A 16 hp tourer

The car is a two-door, 5-seat, vehicle with a side-entrance tonneau body. This term refers to an early car body in which the rear seats form a separate section, with access via side doors. It was used until 1910 and was replaced by the term "tourer". The car is not fitted with doors in the front and only low doors in the rear. It has deep buttoned front bucket seats and a rear bench seat. It is right-hand drive with an upright steering wheel and column. The rear body section is detachable and has floorboards underneath. The car is fitted all around with Perdriau tyres on artillery wheels. The body is painted dark green and black and is fitted with small kerosene-powered head lamps. A distinctive feature of the car is the radiator, which is so constructed that if any of its flat grill tubes were damaged that section could be easily removed for repair without impairing the operation of the car.

The car's twin opposed horizontal cylinder engine is located under the front seat so the bonnet is largely a dummy. It conceals a radiator, separate water tank, tool chest and six gallon fuel tank. The engine has a water pump but there is no fan. The inlet and exhaust valves are placed in the top of the cylinders and are mechanically operated. There are two carburettors, one for each cylinder. The clutch bands are exposed to the rain and mud while the gear assembly is mounted directly on the flywheel. A single roller chain carries the drive to the rear axle. Control of the petrol to the engine is by means of a throttle operated by a foot pedal. Ignition is high tension electric, with dry cell batteries. The spark-lever is situated on the steering post, and the foot-operated throttle pedal is provided with a rack so that it can be fixed in any position. The transmission and rear wheel drum brakes are external contracting. The footbrake operates on the transmission and the long-handled handbrake on the wheels. Although the car has no clutch there are four foot pedals including one for reverse.

The following items are missing from the car: two ignition coils, coil box lid, ignition wiring, fuel line from the tank to a carburettor, bulb horn, rear hub caps, tail lamp, lens from right front headlamp, floor boards from the front of car and crank handle.

Specifications
Serial No. 1279
Engine No: 3263
Horsepower: 16
Capacity: 3500 cc
Engine: Double opposed horizontal
Bore: 4¾ inches (1206 mm)
Stroke: 6 inches (1524 mm)
Gears: Epicyclic with 2 forward, 1 reverse
Carburettors: 2, gravity fed
Ignition: trembler coil
Lubrication: mechanical on crankcase
Transmission: planetary
Suspension: Semi-elliptic leaf springs on front, full elliptic springs on rear
Steering: worm and sector
Cruising speed: 35 mph (65 kph)
Top speed: 45 mph (72 kph)
Wheelbase: 88 inches (223 cm)
View object record