Automobile, full size, Rover, 12 hp, 4-5 seat, 3-door, touring body, car and engine No. 602, designed by Owen Clegg, made by The Rover Company Ltd, Meteor Works, Coventry, England, 1912, used by Mr and Mrs Lewis S. Drummond, Drummoyne, New South Wales, Australia, 1913-1948
The car is a 4 to 5-seat open tourer built with steel panels on a steel sub-frame. Both the chassis and body were made by Rover. There are three doors in all, with the offside having only one door as the handbrake, gear lever and spare wheel are where the driver's door would normally be located. A vertical, single-piece windscreen protects the driver and front passenger from the elements and there is a folded hood at the rear. There are H & B electric side lamps mounted on the pillars of the windscreen, H & B acetylene headlamps with their own gas producing units, and a paraffin tail lamp. The car is fitted with black leather deep button upholstery. The Dunlop tyres are bead edged, on artillery wheels with oak spokes and ash felloes. The hubs bear the Rover insignia.
The four-cylinder engine is cast in one piece, with a solid high-tensile crankshaft on specially lined plane bearings. The side inlet and exhaust valves are mechanically operated with all springs and adjustable tappets enclosed by an aluminium side cover which is easily removable. Oil is pumped into troughs under connecting rods by a geared pump at the bottom of the sump. The overflow of oil from the troughs is filtered on its way back to the sump, which has a capacity of about one and a quarter gallons (5 litres). The magneto and cam are driven by silent chains. The clutch is a metal to metal type, running in oil. The four gears are changed by gate change with direct drive on top. The ratios comprise: first and reverse, 17.7 to 1; second 8.4 to 1; and third 4.7 to 1. The transmission is through a cardan shaft to a worm-driven rear axle, with a universal joint at each end of the shaft. The engine is inclined to keep the transmission in a straight line. Control is by throttle and ignition levers on the steering wheel and an accelerator pedal operated by the right foot. Steering is by worm and segment of hardened steel. Ball thrust bearings are provided above and below the worm. The front axel is a stamped "H" section fitted with swivel pins on ball bearings. The footbrake is of the contracting type operated on the propeller shaft at the rear of the gearbox. The handbrake, an internal expanding type, is operated by a right hand side lever on the rear wheels.
The car retains its original New South Wales number plate, 7603. The original registration label is still fitted together with one for The Australian Bicentennial Castrol World Rally.
The engine number is located on the horizontal alloy surface of the left hand side of the crankcase.
The brass bulb horn is missing together with one of the instruments (possibly an 8-day clock) on the polished mahogany dashboard.
Engine No. 602
Capacity: 2297 cc
Bore: 3 inches (75 mm)
Stroke: 5 and three quarter inches (130 mm)
Gears: 3 forward, 1 reverse constant mesh gearbox
Springs: semi-elliptic, extra long
Carburettor: sloper S.U. made by Rover Co. under licence
Ignition: Bosch magneto, variable ignition by lever on steering wheel
Clutch: single phosphor-bronze clutch plate running in oil.
Petrol tank: 9 gallons (40.91 litres), dashboard mounted
Speed: approximately 45 mph (70 kph)
Track: 4 ft 2 inches (1270 mm)
Width of frame (behind dashboard) 30 inches (762 mm)
Wheelbase: 9 ft 2 inches (2794 mm)
Weight complete: 1 ton (1.01 tonnes)
Weight of chassis: 14 cwt (711.2 kg)