The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
89/537 Alto saxophone, brass / mother-of-pearl, made by J E Becker of Adelaide for C G Conn, Elkhart, Indiana, United States of America, 1926. Click to enlarge.

Alto saxophone, brass / mother-of-pearl, made by J E Becker of Adelaide for C G Conn, Elkhart, Indiana, United States of America, 1926

Made
Saxophone with brass body, heavily engraved with stylised flora and Uncle Sam shaking hands with a kangaroo. 25 keys with mother of pearl keys and roller. -2 top overblowing key in form of snake with green eyes. -3:14 Red glass mouthpiece, associated parts and accessories. Certificate with date enclosed with object.

Summary

Object No.

89/537

Object Statement

Alto saxophone, brass / mother-of-pearl, made by J E Becker of Adelaide for C G Conn, Elkhart, Indiana, United States of America, 1926

Physical Description

Saxophone with brass body, heavily engraved with stylised flora and Uncle Sam shaking hands with a kangaroo. 25 keys with mother of pearl keys and roller. -2 top overblowing key in form of snake with green eyes. -3:14 Red glass mouthpiece, associated parts and accessories. Certificate with date enclosed with object.

Marks

"Made by C.G. Conn Ltd. Elkhart Ind. USA. JEB" Patd Dec 8 1914 1119954 AM186328 L"

Dimensions

Height

155 mm

Width

640 mm

Depth

320 mm

Production

Notes

J. E. Becker must have been a saxophone maker. The object file says that the saxophone was "made by J. E. Becker for C.G.Conn Ltd, Elkhart, Indiana, USA. The file also states "From the New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments. Conn. American firm of instrument manufacturers and distributors, primarily of band instruments". The company bears the name of Charles Gerard Conn, developer of a special type of mouthpiece for brass instruments (patented in 1875). In 1875 he joined with Eugene Dupont, a skilled horn maker to establish the Conn-Dupont Co in Elkhart, Indiana producing first coronets, then other brass instruments. In 1887 as C G Conn Co the company opened subsidiary plant in Worcester Massachusetts. A year later it produced the first saxophone built in the USA. By the 1890s the company offered an extensive range of brass instruments. Despite increasingly successful sales the company suffered from financial difficulties and in 1915 Conn sold it to Carl D Greenleaf, who changed the firms name to C G Conn Ltd. By the 1920s the compnys primary market was school bands and orchestras. In 1927 it purchased a drums and percussion instruments factory. In the 1960s it purchased or affiliated with instrument makers in various parts of the USA. Today the company makes organs near chicargo, offers violins and other string instruments imported from Germany and assembled in Cleveland and a range of guitars manufactured in Japan: the Slingerland and Deagan manufatruers of percussion instruments are a subsidiary.

Source

Credit Line

Purchased 1989

Acquisition Date

13 June 1989

Cite this Object

Harvard

Alto saxophone, brass / mother-of-pearl, made by J E Becker of Adelaide for C G Conn, Elkhart, Indiana, United States of America, 1926 2020, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 26 October 2020, <https://ma.as/97912>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/97912 |title=Alto saxophone, brass / mother-of-pearl, made by J E Becker of Adelaide for C G Conn, Elkhart, Indiana, United States of America, 1926 |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=26 October 2020 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
This object is currently on display in Collection Gallery 2 at the Museums Discovery Centre.

Incomplete

This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.