The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
89/1285 Vase, earthenware, made by Bendigo Pottery, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1949. Click to enlarge.

A Bendigo Pottery wheel thrown vase.

Made by Bendigo Pottery in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1949.

This vase forms part of a collection that was donated to the museum in the late 1980s by Dr Robert Lyons. This significant collection consists of over 500 Australian artware ceramics, along with some studio pieces, forming the most comprehensive holding of Australian commercial ceramics. The significance of this [vase] lies not only in its relation to the prized Lyons collection, but through its connection to one of Australia’s oldest, and most distinguished, pottery companies, which continues t...

Summary

Object No.

89/1285

Object Statement

Vase, earthenware, made by Bendigo Pottery, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1949

Physical Description

Vase, earthenware, made by Bendigo Pottery, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1949

An earthenware, wheel-thrown vase that has a globular form with low foot rim and small averted rim. The exterior features an opaque sprayed glaze with the upper body bright yellow grading to an opaline green on the lower body. The interior and underside of the vase have been white glazed.

Dimensions

Height

120 mm

Production

Notes

The jug was made by Bendigo Pottery in Bendigo Victoria between 1930 and 1949.

History

Notes

This vase was made by Bendigo Pottery, which opened in Bendigo, Victoria, in 1857 and continues to run today. The firm was established by George Guthrie, who moved to Australia from Scotland to join the Australian goldrush of the 1850s. Although Guthrie did not find success as a prospector he recognised fine clays in the goldfields and began making ceramics for the many customers that the goldrush supplied. Before plastics were introduced ceramics were used for a far wider range of products than they are today, and throughout its long history Bendigo Pottery has produced a wide range of domestic and industrial wares.

REF:
Hammond, Victoria (ed), 'Australian Ceramics', Sheparton Art Gallery, 1987
O'Hoy, Dennis R., 'Bendigo Pottery: Selected Wares from 1857 to the Present Day', Bendigo Art Gallery, 1989
Bilney, Elizabeth (ed), 'Decorative Arts and Design from the Powerhouse Museum', Powerhouse Publishing, 1991

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Dr Robert J Lyons under the Tax Incentive for the Arts Scheme, 1989

Acquisition Date

22 December 1989

Cite this Object

Harvard

A Bendigo Pottery wheel thrown vase. 2019, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 23 August 2019, <https://ma.as/90624>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/90624 |title=A Bendigo Pottery wheel thrown vase. |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=23 August 2019 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US