The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
89/1280 Jug, 'Poole Vase', earthenware, made by Bendigo Pottery, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1940. Click to enlarge.

Bendigo Pottery ‘Poole Vase’.

Made by Bendigo Pottery in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1940.

This jug forms part of a collection that was donated to the museum in the late 1980s by Dr Robert Lyons. This significant collection consists of over 500 Australian artware ceramics, along with some studio pieces, forming the most comprehensive holding of Australian commercial ceramics. The significance of this jug lies not only in its relation to the prized Lyons collection, but through its connection to one of Australia’s oldest, and most distinguished, pottery companies, which continues to pr...

Summary

Object No.

89/1280

Object Statement

Jug, 'Poole Vase', earthenware, made by Bendigo Pottery, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1940

Physical Description

Jug, 'Poole Vase', earthenware, made by Bendigo Pottery, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1940.

An earthenware jug or vase, that has a tall, slender, tapering cylindrical form with a wide flaring rim that forms the spout of the jug. A handle extends from the back of the rim to the mid-body of the jug. The jug has been lead glazed with a mottled golden brown glaze.

Marks

Impressed numbers on the base of the jug 'A220' and 'A2'.

Dimensions

Height

313 mm

Width

170 mm

Depth

105 mm

Production

Notes

The jug was made by Bendigo Pottery in Bendigo Victoria between 1930 and 1940.

History

Notes

This jug was made by Bendigo Pottery, which opened in Bendigo, Victoria, in 1857 and continues to run today. The firm was established by George Guthrie, who moved to Australia from Scotland to join the Australian goldrush of the 1850s. Although Guthrie did not find success as a prospector he recognised fine clays in the goldfields and began making ceramics for the many customers that the goldrush supplied. Before plastics were introduced ceramics were used for a far wider range of products than they are today, and throughout its long history Bendigo Pottery has produced a wide range of domestic and industrial wares.

REF:
Hammond, Victoria (ed), 'Australian Ceramics', Sheparton Art Gallery, 1987
O'Hoy, Dennis R., 'Bendigo Pottery: Selected Wares from 1857 to the Present Day', Bendigo Art Gallery, 1989
Bilney, Elizabeth (ed), 'Decorative Arts and Design from the Powerhouse Museum', Powerhouse Publishing, 1991

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Dr Robert J Lyons under the Tax Incentive for the Arts Scheme, 1989

Acquisition Date

22 December 1989

Cite this Object

Harvard

Bendigo Pottery 'Poole Vase'. 2016, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 27 May 2019, <https://ma.as/90619>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/90619 |title=Bendigo Pottery 'Poole Vase'. |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=27 May 2019 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US