Ambrotype of Mary Hyde (Mrs Simeon Lord)

Made 1854-1865

This beautiful hand-tinted ambrotype is a portrait of Mary Hyde and is a part of the ‘Simeon Lord- Mary Hyde’ collection of early colonial artefacts. Simeon Lord was a convict who went on to earn his freedom and become one of Sydney’s pre-eminent businessmen. Mary Hyde was his wife but marriage to this important figure in Sydney’s history was not Mary’s sole claim to fame, as her life was equally remarkable, particularly given the restriction upon women in this period. She was born Mary Hyde, in...

Summary

Object No.

87/617

Physical Description

An ambrotype showing the portrait of an old woman seated in a studio setting. The woman wears a black dress with a full skirt and long sleeves. The dress has a lace collar and cuffs. She also wears a bonnet that ties under the chin. The woman rests her hands on arms of the chair she is seated in. The ambrotype has been tinted, with the material on the back and arms of the chair in red. The ambrotype is enclosed in a hinged case made from wood that has been covered in leather. The case opens to reveal the ambrotype on the right hand side. The ambrotype is framed in a rectangular brass mat. A glass panel sits over the top of the brass mat and another decorative brass frame sits around the outside of the glass. The opposite side of the case is lined with faded red velvet. On the outside of the case, the leather features an embossed decorative pattern. Two metal clasps on the side of the case allow it to be closed securely.

Dimensions

Width

230 mm

Depth

60 mm

Production

Notes

In 1851 Frederick Scott Archer announced the discovery of a new photographic process that could adhere to glass. This was a major breakthrough in the story of photography for the process made clear highly detailed negatives form which multiple copies could be made.

The general public had become used to their photographic portraits being taken using a daguerreotype process which were displayed in a small glass fronted case. To compete with this trade a special kind of collodion process, known as the ambrotype was introduced. This was essentially the same as other collodion negatives except that once the exposure had been taken the emulsion on the glass was bleached to whiten it. When this bleached negative was placed in a case against a black background it formed a positive image which bore a remarkable resemblance to the daguerreotype except it had the added advantage of not being highly reflective.

Australia followed rather than set photographic trends but in the 1850s, the massive boom caused by the discovery of gold ensured it was very quick to take up new processes like the ambrotype. Over the 1850s the ambrotype replaced the daguerreotype as the preferred method of taking portraits but even in the late 1850s daguerreotypes were still being made for more conservative customers.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, September 2009

References
J. Cato, The Story of the Camera in Australia, Third Edition, Institute of Australian Photography, Hong Kong, 1979
Michel Frizot, A New History of Photography, Amilcare Pizzi, Milan, 1998
Helmut and Alison Gernsheim, A Concise History of Photography, Thames and Hudson, Germany, 1965
A. Davies and P. Stanbury, 1985, The Mechanical Eye in Australia, Oxford University Press, Melbourne

Made

1854-1865

History

Notes

The subject of the ambrotype, Mary Hyde was baptised on 19 February 1779 at Halesowen, Worcestershire. She married Simeon Lord after the birth of their fifth child at St Phillip's Church, Sydney on 27 October 1814.
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/famcon/web/lord.html

Owned

Hyde, Mary c1850

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Mr John And Mrs Lloyd Ramsay under the Australian Governments Tax Incentive for the Arts Program, 1987

Acquisition Date

26 May 1987

Cite this Object

Harvard

Ambrotype of Mary Hyde (Mrs Simeon Lord) 2017, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 13 November 2018, <https://ma.as/76858>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/76858 |title=Ambrotype of Mary Hyde (Mrs Simeon Lord) |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=13 November 2018 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Incomplete

This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US