In 1927 Holden’s Motor Body Builders Ltd of Adelaide commissioned Rayner Hoff, later responsible for the sculptures at war memorials in Sydney and Adelaide, to design an emblem for the firm similar to the lion used for the Empire Exhibition at Wembley in the United Kingdom in 1924. The emblem related to the myth that the invention of the wheel was suggested when a lion was observed rolling a stone.
This is the plaster lion marquette made by Hoff from which small diecast emblems were produced f...
Copyright for the above image is held by MAAS and may be subject to third-party copyright restrictions. Please contact MAAS Rights and Permissions for information regarding reproduction, copyright and fees. Text is released under Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives licenceSubmit an image license enquiry.
This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.