NotesThis model was used to display the external aesthetics of the lighthouse. It was used by the Department of Navigation, Sydney, from the 1880s. It was lent to the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences in 1907 for an educational display. The model has been conserved and stored in the Museum's collection from that time, and was formally acquired in 2015.
H.R. Carleton from the New South Wales Public Works Department at the time wrote an excellent description of the lighthouse reproduced in the book 1987 book, 'Engineers and their works in New South Wales 1884-1914'. He noted that Macquarie Lighthouse was:
'situated immediately in the rear of the old lighthouse at South Head, of Port Jackson. The tower is 61 feet high from the ground to the lantern and is divided into four stories. It is circular on the plan, 11.5 feet in diameter inside, built of sandstone, dressed both sides, designed to resemble as closely as possible the old lighthouse. The base of the tower, externally, is 23.5 feet square, to a height of 17 feet, above which it is circular, the walls being 4 feet thick near the bottom, tapering to 3 feet thick at the top. Bluestone gallery round lantern, with gun metal railing. Engine room, oil stores, and workrooms are provided in 2 one storey wings, one on either side of tower and attached to same, the wings being each about 24 feet square, surmounted by domes constructed of woodwork and covered with lead. The engine room contains two 8 hp Crossley's gas engines, and two De Meritens magneto-electric machines, weighing 2.5 tons each. A gasholder, containing 4 or 5 days supply, is also provided, connected with the mains of the Australian Gas Light Co.'.
The lighthouse cost 19,620 pounds to erect and its light was described as '1st order dioptric, holophotal, revolving white light, electric light, gas or oil; visible between N. by E. quarter and S. by E., showing a flash every minute and making a complete revolution in 16 minutes'.
The lighthouse had a staff of 5, comprising an engineer superintendent, 1 assistant engineer and 3 under keepers. They were accommodated in five single-storey houses.