The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
85/384 Glass collection (491 parts), Crown Crystal Glass and Crown Corning Ltd and others, 1920-1988. Click to enlarge.

Crown Corning Glassware Collection

Made
Collection of glassware comprising domestic kitchenware, tableware, ovenware and lightshades. Also included is laboratory equipment such as flasks, measuring cups and funnels as well as industrial glass including electricty insulators.

Summary

Object No.

85/384

Object Statement

Glass collection (491 parts), Crown Crystal Glass and Crown Corning Ltd and others, 1920-1988

Physical Description

Collection of glassware comprising domestic kitchenware, tableware, ovenware and lightshades. Also included is laboratory equipment such as flasks, measuring cups and funnels as well as industrial glass including electricty insulators.

Production

Notes

This collection covers a 60 year period from the end of the first World War to the late 1970s.

Crown Crystal Glass formed in 1926 with the amalgamation of a number of small hand production works. These were Balmain Glass Works, Crown Glass Works and Crystal Glass Works.

The 1920s saw the initial phase of expansion from a largely bottle making concern into domestic ware in competition with overseas imports. Output was small compared to imports of both quality and cut price glass from America, England and Europe. Crystal Glass Ltd and after 1926 Crown Crystal Glass produced a range of carnival glass to compete with American iridised ware. Much of this featured Australiana designs including kookaburras and gum leaves.

The 1930s saw the introduction of the "Grimwade" crystal line of hand cut crystal hailed as "absolutely hand-made and hand-cut by skilled Australian artisans." There was also an expansion into industrial and commercial lines such as insulators.

In 1940 production began for scientific ware. This line continued until 1968 and included most types of laboratory glassware including flasks, gauge glasses, ounce measures and funnels.

During the 1950s and 1960s tableware production continued especially of drinking vessels for the home and for hotels. Decoration was varied and colourful. Glassware for milk bars and restaurants was popular including bowls for ice cream sundaes, parfait glasses, dishes for banana splits, milkshake glasses and counter dispensers.

In 1963 Crown Crystal became a division of Australian Consolidated Industries (ACI), which set up a joint venture with the American company, Crown Corning, in 1968, to be known in Australia as Crown Corning Ltd. In 1998 ACI became an affiliate of Owens-Illinois in the USA, one of the world's largest manufacturers of glass containers and a leading glass equipment manufacturer. Crown Corning now known as Crown Commercial Pty Ltd continues to produce a large range glassware for both commercial and domestic markets.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Crown Corning Ltd, 1985

Acquisition Date

29 March 1985

Cite this Object

Harvard

Crown Corning Glassware Collection 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 7 December 2021, <https://ma.as/47172>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/47172 |title=Crown Corning Glassware Collection |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=7 December 2021 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Incomplete

This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.