The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
2011/91/1 Commemorative medallion, in case, and key fob, centenaries of Headquarters Fire Station, Castlereagh St, 1887-1987, and Stanmore Fire Station No 7, 1886-1986, metal / velvet, issued by New South Wales Fire Brigades, makers unknown, possibly Australia, 1986-1987. Click to enlarge.

Commemorative medallion in case and key fob

Made
  • 1986-1987
These items are significant as commemorations of the opening of two of the most important fire stations in New South Wales, and link to the history of the Mastertouch Piano Roll Company who were based in the Stanmore fire station from 2000-2005.

The Stanmore fire station, opened in 1886, was the first suburban and district fire station to be permanently manned; subsequent extensions to the building and its staffing made the station the second largest in New South Wales (after Headquarters in …

Parts of this object

Summary

Object No.

2011/91/1

Object Statement

Commemorative medallion, in case, and key fob, centenaries of Headquarters Fire Station, Castlereagh St, 1887-1987, and Stanmore Fire Station No 7, 1886-1986, metal / velvet, issued by New South Wales Fire Brigades, makers unknown, possibly Australia, 1986-1987

Physical Description

The circular gold plated medallion features on the obverse, a fireman carrying a limp female figure with a surrounding legend, 'HEAD QUARTERS CENTENARY'. A shield or banner surrounds the fireman, with 'NEW SOUTH WALES / FIRE BRIGADES / A / CENTURY / OF / SERVICE / 1887 / 1987'. The reverse has a depiction of a steam-powered fire engine marked 'METROPOLITAN / FIRE BRIGADE', over the letters 'HQ'. The medallion is housed in a red velvet case with a hinged lid and a white silk inner lining. A space is cut out in the base for the medallion.

The circular enamelled key fob has a depiction of Stanmore Fire Station No 7 in gold, on blue background on the obverse. The surrounding legend reads, 'STANMORE / BRIGADES / CENTENARY / 1886-1986 / No 7 / NEW SOUTH WALES FIRE BRIGADES'. On the reverse is a small inscription '7/007'.

Production

Made

  • 1986-1987

Possibly made

Notes

The Stanmore key fob was commissioned in 1986 by the NSW Fire Brigades to commemorate the centenary of Stanmore Fire Station, originally opened on May 29, 1886.

The Headquarters medallion was commissioned in 1987 by the NSW Fire Brigades to commemorate the centenary of Headquarters Fire Station, Castlereagh St, which opened in November 1887.

History

Notes

These items were donated in 2007 by Inspector Ross Brogan (AFSM, CFI) of the NSW Fire Brigades, who in 1986 was the Station Officer of Stanmore Fire Station and was in charge of the centenary celebrations for the Stanmore and Headquarters fire stations.

The Stanmore Fire Brigade building was closed in 1991 and sold in 2000 to the Mastertouch Piano Roll Compnay who remained there until 2005. The Mastertouch Piano Roll Company had been established in 1919 in Sydney and manufactured and sold piano rolls until its closure on 1 July 2005. It is highly significant both to the state of New South Wales and Australia as a whole as the longest running and only piano roll manufacturer to be operating in the country. It was also only one of two remaining large scale piano roll manufacturers in the world, the other being QRS in the USA.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Ross Brogan, 2007

Acquisition Date

18 September 2011

Cite this Object

Harvard

Commemorative medallion in case and key fob 2022, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 25 May 2022, <https://ma.as/422711>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/422711 |title=Commemorative medallion in case and key fob |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=25 May 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}