The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
2011/2/1 Electric golf cart, metal / glass / rubber / plastic, made by E-Z-Go, Augusta, Georgia, United States of America, 1992-1993, used by the University of New South Wales, Kensington, New South Wales, Australia, 1993-1997. Click to enlarge.

Electric golf cart used in vanadium battery trials

Made by E-Z-Go in Augusta, Richmond county, Georgia, United States, North and Central America, 1992-1993.

This golf cart was designed to transport people and golf clubs around golf courses, but instead it was employed to test the use in electric vehicles of the vanadium redox flow battery. This battery was developed at the University of New South Wales by Professor Maria Skyllas-Kazacos and co-workers. The trials were successful, proving the concept and possibly leading to future widespread use of vanadium batteries in vehicles, backed up by new facilities at service stations.

This new infrastruct...

Summary

Object No.

2011/2/1

Object Statement

Electric golf cart, metal / glass / rubber / plastic, made by E-Z-Go, Augusta, Georgia, United States of America, 1992-1993, used by the University of New South Wales, Kensington, New South Wales, Australia, 1993-1997

Physical Description

Electric golf cart, metal / glass / rubber / plastic, made by E-Z-Go, Augusta, Georgia, United States of America, 1992-1993, used by the University of New South Wales, Kensington, New South Wales, Australia, 1993-1997

Four-wheeled two-passenger vehicle. The golf cart has a 36 volt DC electric motor, flat canopy, space under the seats designed for storing lead-acid batteries, dummy vanadium battery mounted behind the seat, and no doors. The space under the seat is fitted out with plastic tanks for storing solutions of vanadium in different states of charge; during trials, these solutions were pumped through the battery to produce electricity to power the motor. The bodywork is painted red and black, the single seat cushion and dual backrests are covered in cream vinyl, the canopy is white, and the maker's name E-Z-GO is on a plate at the front.

Marks

Maker's name, printed on plate at the front of vehicle, 'E-Z-GO'.

Dimensions

Height

1700 mm

Width

1070 mm

Weight

260 kg

Production

Notes

The cart was made by E-Z-Go at Augusta, Georgia, United States of America in 1992-1993.

The company was founded in Augusta in 1954 by brothers Beverly and Billy Dolan to make golf carts. In 1960 it became part of the multinational Textron group, which also manufactures Bell Helicopters, Cessna aircraft and many other products. E-Z-Go makes hundreds of thousands of utility vehicles each year, including large numbers of golf carts.

History

Notes

The cart was lent to the University of NSW by E-Z-Go via its local agent, Deep Down Distributors, in 1993. The loan was later converted to a gift.

The cart was used in trials of the vanadium redox flow battery at the university between 1993 and 1997. The range of the vehicle in these tests was around 50 km.

The researchers calculated that a 30 cell stack with an active area of 500 square centimetres was needed. Due to budget limitations, the 1,500 square centimetre moulds manufactured for the team's solar house battery project in Thailand were re-used instead, so the battery was about 50% longer and three times the cross sectional area needed to power the cart.

The team built the battery and tested it in the laboratory before wiring it to the cart's motor. The cart moved and accelerated well in this test. The battery was then fitted to the cart, and 58 litre solutions of vanadium (in different states of charge) in sulphuric acid were placed in the tanks.

The cart was then driven out of the laboratory and around the roads within the University, including some steep sections. It was also tested on a large grassed area.

After the battery was donated to the Powerhouse Museum in 1998 (see 98/160/1), a dummy battery was installed in its place.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of the University of New South Wales, 2011

Acquisition Date

6 January 2011

Cite this Object

Harvard

Electric golf cart used in vanadium battery trials 2018, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 23 October 2019, <https://ma.as/413853>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/413853 |title=Electric golf cart used in vanadium battery trials |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=23 October 2019 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US