The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
85/2110 Butter churn, with fitted lid, no. 2 size, box type, hand operated, wood, made by E Cherry & Sons, Gisborne, Victoria, Australia, 1900-1930. Click to enlarge.

Butter churn made by E Cherry & Sons

Made
This is a good example of large, hand-operated Bentwood box butter churn used to make up to 14 pounds of butter. It was made in Gisborne, Victoria, by the famous manufacturer, E. Cherry, and is known as an Improved Patent No.2 model probably dating from the late 1800s. The Cherry works specialised in making all types of butter churns and equipment for both domestic use on farms and small butter factories during the late nineteenth and early to mid. twentieth centuries. Milk was "separated" to …

Summary

Object No.

85/2110

Object Statement

Butter churn, with fitted lid, no. 2 size, box type, hand operated, wood, made by E Cherry & Sons, Gisborne, Victoria, Australia, 1900-1930

Physical Description

Butter churn, No.2 size, Improved Patent Bentwood box churn, with fitted lid, wood, made by E. Cherry, Gisborne, Victoria, Australia, 1900-1930

Rectangular buttern churn, footed wooden box containing an X-shaped wooden interior rack, which is joined to an exterior metal hand crank with turned wood handle, through a hole in the box. Beneath the hand crank is a hole from the interior lined with metal. The lid has a carry handle affixed to the lid on two cross pieces attached to the lid by brass screws.

Marks

Manufacturer's name and location stencilled in black, exterior side of churn, "E. CHERRY/ MAKER/ GISBOURNE/ VICTORIA/ 2", at angle to main text, "IMPROVED/ PATENT"

Dimensions

Height

400 mm

Width

415 mm

Depth

295 mm

Production

Notes

E. Cherry & Sons was established in 1858 at Gisborne, Victoria, by Edward Cherry (1830-1910) who had arrived in Australia from Hertfordshire, England, in 1855. Cherry manufactured churns and in 1875 opened a factory for their manufacture. Butter churns and other dairy manufacturing equipment were made by the firm which traded as E. Cherry between 1889 and 1899. Their churns were made of seasoned New Zealand kauri pine which was steamed to provide the curved shape. Other items associated with the company were butter cutters, cheese presses and cheese vats. The firm's motto was "Quality first, last and all the time!"

In 1890 Edward Cherry was joined by a partner, George Lyell (1866-1951), who later became the company's managing director. In 1892 the firm was said to be responsible for bringing the first Babcock milk testing equipment to Australia. By 1904 they were known as E. Cherry & Sons. Their churn factory, located in the centre of Gisborne, was destroyed by fire in 1912 but was rebuilt. By 1914 the company was manufacturing machinery for cheese production, while butter cutters, cheese presses and cheese vats continued to be produced up to 1943. By this time the firm was trading as Cherry & Sons Pty Ltd.

A number of different sized butter churns were made by E. Cherry & Sons including the A, OO, O, 1, 2 and 3. The A size was for between 1 lb and 3lbs of butter and cost 20 shillings in 1911 as advertised in the Anthony Hordern's Catalogue, a Sydney department store.

Source

Credit Line

Purchased 1985

Acquisition Date

21 October 1985

Cite this Object

Harvard

Butter churn made by E Cherry & Sons 2022, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 28 June 2022, <https://ma.as/38092>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/38092 |title=Butter churn made by E Cherry & Sons |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=28 June 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}