The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
88/289-1186 Photographic glass plate negative, Avro Cadet trainer aircraft A6-23 on float, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 20th January 1941.. Click to enlarge.

Glass plate negative of Avro cadet trainer A6-23

    Almost all of the glass plate negatives in the Clyde photograph collection were taken at the Clyde works in Granville, and depict both the workers and the machinery they manufactured. Subjects covered include: railway locomotives and rolling stock; agricultural equipment; large engineering projects funded by Australian State and Federal governments; airplane maintenance and construction and Clyde's contribution to the first and second World Wars. Some photographs date back to the 1880s but …

    Summary

    Object No.

    88/289-1186

    Object Statement

    Photographic glass plate negative, Avro Cadet trainer aircraft A6-23 on float, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 20th January 1941.

    Physical Description

    Photographic glass plate negative, Avro Cadet trainer aircraft A6-23 on float, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 20th January 1941.

    A rectangular black and white silver gelatin glass plate negative in landscape format. The image depicts Avro Cadet trainer aircraft 'A6-23' on float. There is a printed sign in front of the aircraft which reads 'BUILT BY / THE CLYDE / ENGINEERING COY LTD / GRANVILLE & SYDNEY'. The float has printed text which reads, 'A.PITTMAN PTY LTD AIRCRAFT FLO '. The plate is accompanied by a paper sleeve with hand written black ink which reads, '1629' and is underlined along with text underneath which states, ' - 5 TIGER MOTHS ON TRUCK. - / - AT 'CLYDE' FOR REPAIRS -' There is also further text in the bottom right hand corner which states the date, '20-1-40' and a signature underneath by 'KW'.

    Dimensions

    Height

    164 mm

    Width

    215 mm

    Depth

    1.5 mm

    Production

    Notes

    The Clyde Engineering Company photograph collection is made up of around 1300 half plate glass negatives and approximately 4000 triacetate negatives.

    The triacetate collection appears to date from the late 1930s through to 1960s the glass plates from around 1900-1950. Most of the photographs are commissioned works taken around the Clyde Works in Granville, Sydney. Others are copies of original photographic prints, blueprints and pages from books. These are hard to accurately date it is almost certain that the collection is the work of numerous photographers; unfortunately their identity is at present unknown.

    Glass plates were first used to support photographic emulsions in the late 1840s and remained in continuous use right through until the middle of the twentieth century. While the earliest plates supported 'dry' and 'wet' collodion emulsions these were replaced with silver gelatin emulsions in the 1880s. Unlike earlier plates these were mass produced on a huge scale and were capable of fast speeds even at half and full plate sizes.

    One drawback of this process was that larger plate sizes required a correspondingly large camera to fit the plate. These were relatively cumbersome and when you take into consideration the weight of the glass plates it is no surprise to find they were mainly used for studio and commercial work. However they were still favoured by many professionals for a long time after roll film was introduced by Kodak in the late 1880s. This was because the large plates could be more easily worked on for masking and their contact prints provided better results than some of the early enlarging equipment

    Geoff Barker, Assistant Curator, Total Asset Management Project, February, 2008

    References
    Gernsheim, H. and Gernsheim A., The History of Photography from the Earliest Use of the Camera Obscura in the Eleventh Century up to 1914. London, New York: Oxford University Press, 1955.

    History

    Notes

    The Clyde Engineering Company photograph collection was acquired by the Powerhouse Museum in December 1987. The material was removed from Clyde Engineering when the offices were being relocated and appears to be only a portion of the original collection. Around 1350 half plate glass negatives and approximately 4000 triacetate negatives came to the Museum at this time.

    The triacetate collection is made up predominantly of copies of blueprints and plans of machinery dating from the late 1940s through to 1960s. These subjects may have referred to actual work carried out by Clyde but material appears to have also been used for research and copied directly from books. In 2007 the triacetate negatives were placed into cold storage while waiting to be catalogued. In the same year the glass plates were catalogued and digitised as a part of the Total Asset Management Project for the Museum's collection database and website and for Picture Australia.

    The subject matter contained in the half plate glass negatives covers over 60 years of the Clyde Engineering Company's activities in New South Wales. It starts in the 1880s when the company was still called Hudson Brothers and goes through to the late 1940s. Most of these images were taken at the Clyde Works in Granville, Sydney, New South Wales and many include interior and exterior images of the people and workshops at Clyde Engineering and on the banks of the Duck River.

    Some appear to have been commissioned to record the completion of particular Clyde projects such as locomotives, boilers and agricultural equipment at the Clyde works. A few have been photographed in other locations such as the aircraft photographs taken at Bankstown Airport and some works photographed after delivery.

    A few photographs are copies of original photographic prints, blueprints and pages from books and these are hard to accurately date. As most of the original negatives were taken over a long time period it is almost certain the photographs are the work of numerous photographers, unfortunately their identity is at present unknown.

    Some of the negatives have appeared in a Clyde booklet published for the delegates of the 'Seventh Congress of the Chamber of Commerce of the British Empire in 1909' and a Clyde booklet held by the museum which was published around 1945. These publications and the fact that some of the negatives have been masked make it clear that the while the photographers were cataloguing the accomplishments of the company they were also creating content used to advertise and promote the company's products.

    Two photographers who did photographic work for Clyde from the 1960s onwards were Charles French of 87 Yarram Street, Lidcombe in New South Wales and Jack Draper an employee and photographer employed by Clyde Engineering around the same period.

    Geoff Barker, Assistant Curator, Total Asset Management Project, February, 2008

    Cite this Object

    Harvard

    Glass plate negative of Avro cadet trainer A6-23 2022, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 4 October 2022, <https://ma.as/376087>

    Wikipedia

    {{cite web |url=https://ma.as/376087 |title=Glass plate negative of Avro cadet trainer A6-23 |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=4 October 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}