The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
88/289-468 Photographic glass plate negative, Clyde Pavilion Royal Easter Show, traction engines and ferris wheel near Clyde display, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 1898-1909. Click to enlarge.

Photograph of Clyde Pavilion Royal Easter Show

Made in Australia, Oceania, 1898-1909.
This is a photograph of the Clyde Pavilion at the Sydney Royal Easter Show taken at Moore Park in the inner City between 1898 and 1909. This pavilion housed products made by the large Australian firm Clyde Engineering Co. Ltd of Granville, a Sydney suburb. Clyde Engineering made agricultural machinery, engineering equipment, and railway rolling stock during the first half of the twentieth century.

For the Clyde Engineering Company, the Sydney Royal Easter Show was an important promotional event. The Show was, and still is (2010), an eclectic range of activities and displays including a grand parade, produce displays, equestrian events and pavilions of sheep, cattle, horses, pigs and fowls. For Clyde Engineering, the Show was an opportunity to display its farm implements and all other products to a wide audience of city and country visitors. It was also a time to introduce new designs and models.

The Show began in the 1820s but the first show that would be recognized by modern audiences was held in 1860 in, what is now, Parramatta Park.

The Sydney Royal Easter Show has always been about bringing the country to the city so from the start an emphasis was placed on agricultural products, livestock and machines. In 1908, sixteen engineering companies were displaying their products. Not only were the machines displayed but also demonstrated for audiences and entered into competitions.

In 1908, “The Sydney Morning Herald” described the Clyde Pavilion as having “a very handsome appearance” and “the completest and most representative collection of farmers' requisite on the showground.” Many products were on display that year including windmills, traction engines, chaffcutters, thatch-making machines, ploughs, wagons, and many, many more implements.

In this photograph it is possible to see two compound steam traction engines by John Fowler & Co. Ltd of Leeds, England, and Clyde's own chaffcutters, hay baler, land roller, horseworks and windmill on display. This photograph of the Clyde Pavilion was printed from a large series of Works photographs entitled, “The Clyde Photograph Collection.”

Sidney Wilkinson-Flicker, Curatorial Intern (Supervisor: Margaret Simpson), November 2010

Almost all of the glass plate negatives in the Clyde photograph collection were taken at the Clyde works in Granville, and depict both the workers and the machinery they manufactured. Subjects covered include: railway locomotives and rolling stock; agricultural equipment; large engineering projects funded by Australian State and Federal governments; airplane maintenance and construction and Clyde's contribution to the first and second World Wars. Some photographs date back to the 1880s but most were taken between 1898 and 1945.

The origins of the collection can be dated back to 1855 when William Henry Hudson set up the firm of Hudson Brothers in a small shop in Redfern, Sydney. Initially the company specialised in woodworking and the first major contracts undertaken by the Hudson Brothers included woodwork for the 'Great Hall' at Sydney University and building the Sydney 'Garden Palace' in 1879.

In 1876 Hudson Brothers won a lucrative contract to build rolling stock for the New South Wales government and as a result the business began to move toward metal-work rather than wood-work. The business was a success and twenty five years later had expanded to such a degree that a new work shop was needed to accommodate staff and equipment. In 1881 Hudson Brothers moved onto two hundred acres of land at Granville in the Western suburbs of Sydney and the new factory opened two years later in July 1883.

Unfortunately the recession of the 1890s hit Hudson Brothers hard and by 1898 it was forced into receivership. It was then that the newly formed Clyde Engineering Company took over the Hudson Brothers, although William Hudson continued to remain a board member and motivating force behind Clyde Engineering. Given the new company arose out of the old Hudson Brothers it is not surprising to find Clyde Engineering adopted a phoenix as its logo. The choice was apt for the new company did rise out of the ashes of the old and by 1950 Clyde Engineering had become the largest engineering enterprise in New South Wales.

In 1901, soon after it had become Clyde Engineering Ltd., the company began making carriages for the Federal Government and in 1903 began making them for the West Australian Government as well. In 1905 Clyde won a major contract with the New South Wales State Government to make railway locomotives.

Clyde Engineering was a large operation and took on contract work for major state government projects, mainly in New South Wales. These included prefabricated steel work for the Hawkesbury Bridge and the northern approach to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. In 1932 the company also built and supplied steel work for the Clarence River Bridge at Grafton and the Manning River Bridge at Taree.

Clyde Engineering made agricultural equipment for many parts of New South Wales, continuing the work of Hudson Brothers who began to manufacture windmills and ploughs made to their own unique designs in 1884.

During the Second World War it was an integral part of 'Workshop Australia'. In this period Clyde Engineering took on a new field, the repair of Hudson and Wirraway aircraft. In addition it provided munitions; 25-pounder field gun parts; locomotives and rolling stock to the war effort.

This collection of photographs is an archive of national significance due to its unique relationship to the industrial technology, engineering and commerce of New South Wales. In Australia few collections of this nature have survived to the present day especially ones which cover one company's activities from the 1880s through to the 1950s in such depth.

The photographs are also significant in their illustration of the important contribution made by Clyde Engineering to the social fabric of New South Wales. By 1923 Clyde had 2,200 employees working round the clock on eight hour shifts. Some of these lived in houses specially built by the company in Granville and the works had its own fire brigade, ambulance service, gun club and was home to Australia's first soccer club.

Geoff Barker, Assistant Curator, Total Asset Management Project, February, 2008

References
Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales Division, Steam Locomotives Built by the Clyde Engineering Co. Pty. Ltd., Granville, Australia, Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales, date unknown

Cooke, Anne, “Going to the Show? Images & Memories of Sydney's Royal Easter Show”, Prestige Litho, Sydney, 1996, pg

“Machinery: Splendid Exhibits”, The Sydney Morning Herald, 12 April 1911, pg 13

“Machinery: The Progress of Innovation”, The Sydney Morning Herald, 3 April 1912, pg 12

Murray, J., Phoenix to the World; the Story of Clyde Industries and Sir Raymond Purves, CBE, Playright Publishing Pty Ltd., 1992

Royal Agricultural Society of New South Wales, accessed 11 October 2010,

The Clyde Engineering Company Limited, Visit to Clyde Works of the delegates of Chambers of Commerce of the British Empire, 21 September 1909, Cumberland Argus Printing Works, 1909?

“The Machinery”, The Sydney Morning Herald, 18 April 1908, pg 17

“The Machinery: An Imposing Display”, The Sydney Morning Herald, 23 March 1910, pg 15

Summary

Object No.

88/289-468

Object Statement

Photographic glass plate negative, Clyde Pavilion Royal Easter Show, traction engines and ferris wheel near Clyde display, Clyde Engineering Pty Ltd, Australia, 1898-1909

Physical Description

A rectangular black and white silver gelatin glass plate negative in portrait format. The image depicts the Clyde pavilion at the Royal Australian Showground at Moore Park, depicting land roller, windmill, hay baler, horse works with two Fowler traction engines and ferris wheel in background.

Dimensions

Height

215 mm

Width

164 mm

Depth

1.5 mm

Production

Made

Australia, Oceania 1898-1909

Notes

Email correspondence to Museum (Murray Stokes, 5 November 2019):
"Have you noticed the flag flying singly on the flagpole in these two pictures? (88/289-468 and 88/289-1357) It is the new Flag of Australia which was first flown in the second half of 1901. Since the Sydney Show was at Easter time, the earliest possible date for these two photographs is 1902."

The Clyde Engineering Company photograph collection is made up of around 1300 half plate glass negatives and approximately 4000 triacetate negatives.

The triacetate collection appears to date from the late 1930s through to 1960s the glass plates from around 1900-1950. Most of the photographs are commissioned works taken around the Clyde Works in Granville, Sydney. Others are copies of original photographic prints, blueprints and pages from books. These are hard to accurately date it is almost certain that the collection is the work of numerous photographers; unfortunately their identity is at present unknown.

Glass plates were first used to support photographic emulsions in the late 1840s and remained in continuous use right through until the middle of the twentieth century. While the earliest plates supported 'dry' and 'wet' collodion emulsions these were replaced with silver gelatin emulsions in the 1880s. Unlike earlier plates these were mass produced on a huge scale and were capable of fast speeds even at half and full plate sizes.

One drawback of this process was that larger plate sizes required a correspondingly large camera to fit the plate. These were relatively cumbersome and when you take into consideration the weight of the glass plates it is no surprise to find they were mainly used for studio and commercial work. However they were still favoured by many professionals for a long time after roll film was introduced by Kodak in the late 1880s. This was because the large plates could be more easily worked on for masking and their contact prints provided better results than some of the early enlarging equipment

Geoff Barker, Assistant Curator, Total Asset Management Project, February, 2008

References
Gernsheim, H. and Gernsheim A., The History of Photography from the Earliest Use of the Camera Obscura in the Eleventh Century up to 1914. London, New York: Oxford University Press, 1955.

History

Notes

The Clyde Engineering Company photograph collection was acquired by the Powerhouse Museum in December 1987. The material was removed from Clyde Engineering when the offices were being relocated and appears to be only a portion of the original collection. Around 1350 half plate glass negatives and approximately 4000 triacetate negatives came to the Museum at this time.

The triacetate collection is made up predominantly of copies of blueprints and plans of machinery dating from the late 1940s through to 1960s. These subjects may have referred to actual work carried out by Clyde but material appears to have also been used for research and copied directly from books. In 2007 the triacetate negatives were placed into cold storage while waiting to be catalogued. In the same year the glass plates were catalogued and digitised as a part of the Total Asset Management Project for the Museum's collection database and website and for Picture Australia.

The subject matter contained in the half plate glass negatives covers over 60 years of the Clyde Engineering Company's activities in New South Wales. It starts in the 1880s when the company was still called Hudson Brothers and goes through to the late 1940s. Most of these images were taken at the Clyde Works in Granville, Sydney, New South Wales and many include interior and exterior images of the people and workshops at Clyde Engineering and on the banks of the Duck River.

Some appear to have been commissioned to record the completion of particular Clyde projects such as locomotives, boilers and agricultural equipment at the Clyde works. A few have been photographed in other locations such as the aircraft photographs taken at Bankstown Airport and some works photographed after delivery.

A few photographs are copies of original photographic prints, blueprints and pages from books and these are hard to accurately date. As most of the original negatives were taken over a long time period it is almost certain the photographs are the work of numerous photographers, unfortunately their identity is at present unknown.

Some of the negatives have appeared in a Clyde booklet published for the delegates of the 'Seventh Congress of the Chamber of Commerce of the British Empire in 1909' and a Clyde booklet held by the museum which was published around 1945. These publications and the fact that some of the negatives have been masked make it clear that the while the photographers were cataloguing the accomplishments of the company they were also creating content used to advertise and promote the company's products.

Two photographers who did photographic work for Clyde from the 1960s onwards were Charles French of 87 Yarram Street, Lidcombe in New South Wales and Jack Draper an employee and photographer employed by Clyde Engineering around the same period.

Geoff Barker, Assistant Curator, Total Asset Management Project, February, 2008

Cite this Object

Harvard

Photograph of Clyde Pavilion Royal Easter Show 2020, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 11 July 2020, <https://ma.as/373401>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/373401 |title=Photograph of Clyde Pavilion Royal Easter Show |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=11 July 2020 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US