The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
2009/79/20 Buttons (11), plastic, purchased from ALA Buttons, Rowe Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1950-1957. Click to enlarge.

Plastic buttons purchased in Rowe Street, Sydney

Made
These three sets of buttons were purchased between 1950 and 1957 from the shop, A.L.A. Buttons and Ornaments, located at 21 Rowe Street, Sydney. Before joining with Niina Rätsep (later Ots) in Anina Pty Ltd in 1957, Anna-Louise and Hans Bernhard Alma established ALA Buttons and Ornaments in Rowe Street in 1948. It was managed by Anna-Louise who specialised in 'fleur de lis motifs' and mother-of-pearl buttons, bearing the distinctive makers mark of 'AL' within a large 'A'.

Of French origin, Anna-Louise came to Australia from Paris in about 1948; she died in 1961. Roy Garwood (Mitchell & Garwood Art & Design Studio, 21 Rowe Street, 1956-58) remembers Mrs Alma as being 'a petite French lady, charming, lively, humorous, very French. She would sometimes bring to the shop her two miniature poodles wearing their beautiful collars of black suede leather studded with pearls'.

When Sally Garrett, grand-daughter of Harold Casneaux, who photographed Rowe Street before the first world war, was in her early 20s, the father of her boyfriend of the time married Anna Louise Alma, who she remembers as very elegant, and beautifully dressed. 'ALA was one of the first to wrap purchases in beautiful packages, with lovely dark paper and curly mauve ribbon.'

Darani Lewers, daughter of Margo Lewers, and who had worked for her uncle Carl Plate at Notanda gallery in the school holidays, also worked for both ALA Buttons and Anina in 1957. She remembers how Madame Alma and Maggy Hutchison, who shared the same shop space, drew a line across the floor and discouraged customers from crossing it.

Summary

Object No.

2009/79/20

Object Statement

Buttons (11), plastic, purchased from ALA Buttons, Rowe Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1950-1957

Physical Description

Buttons (11), plastic, purchased from ALA Buttons, Rowe Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1950-1957

Production

Made

Notes

These three sets of buttons were manufactured between 1950 and 1957 for the shop, A.L.A. Buttons and Ornaments, located at 21 Rowe Street, Sydney.

History

Notes

These three sets of buttons were purchased between 1950 and 1957 from the shop, A.L.A. Buttons and Ornaments, located at 21 Rowe Street, Sydney.

These items come from a collection developed in 2001 and 2002 by museum volunteers who had a connection with Rowe Street, either as commercial occupants or simply as people who enjoyed its lively atmosphere. Attached to the collection is an archive of photographs, books and letters. These buttons were donated by Mary Gordon.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of multiple donors Rowe Street Archive Project (2001-2005), 2009

Acquisition Date

13 October 2009

Cite this Object

Harvard

Plastic buttons purchased in Rowe Street, Sydney 2020, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 30 September 2020, <https://ma.as/373025>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/373025 |title=Plastic buttons purchased in Rowe Street, Sydney |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=30 September 2020 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Incomplete

This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.