Pendant designed by Charles Robert Ashbee

Made by Guild of Handicraft in England, c1905.

Silver pendant shaped as a stylised four petal flower of emerald green enamel with a central rectangular shaped pale green faceted peridot. Three cabachon peridot drops are suspended on looped silver chains below the stylised flower.

Summary

85/190
Silver pendant shaped as a stylised four petal flower of emerald green enamel with a central rectangular shaped pale green faceted peridot. Three cabachon peridot drops are suspended on looped silver chains below the stylised flower.

Dimensions

40 mm
75 mm
15 mm

Production

Pendant was designed by Charles Robert Ashbee and made by the Guild of Handicraft, London or Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, about 1905

Charles Robert Ashbee (1863-1942) was an English designer, writer, architect and entrepreneur who was an important figure in both the Arts and Craft and Art Nouveau movements. The Arts and Craft style took its craft ethics from the work of John Ruskin and its co-operative structure from the socialism of William Morris. Ashbee was greatly influenced by these two men, particularly by their vision of creative workmanship, and the importance of hand craftsmanship in an industrial society in which such crafts were dying.

Ashbee was important for his influence on and promotion of Art Nouveau, a style which developed and followed on naturally from the concepts of the Arts and Craft movement. His influence was particularly evident on the development of Art Nouveau jewellery, especially at the English department store Liberty & Co. and the Wiener Werkstatte in Vienna, Austria.

The School and Guild of Handicraft started in the East End of London in 1888 and was largely the work of Charles Robert Ashbee. The Guild was a 'craft workshop that combined the ideals of the ARts and CRaft Movement with a romantic, apolitical socialism'* Over the years, the Guild specialised in metalworking, jewellery and enamels as well as hand-wrought copper and wrought ironwork, furniture and printing. Many of the most admired products of the Guild, such as metal work and jewellery in particular, were designed by Ashbee. In 1891 the Guild was based at Essex House in Mile End Road, London until 1902 when it moved to Chipping Campden in the Cotswolds. The Guild was liquidated in 1907, but continued in a reduced form until 1919.

Reference:
* Crawford, Alan. "Ashbee, C. R.." Grove Art Online. Oxford Art Online. Oxford University Press (accessed 17 March, 2013)
Newman, Harold. 'An Illustrated Dictionary of Jewelry', Thames and Hudson, 1981
Guild of Handicraft c1905

Source

Purchased 1985
12 February, 1985

Cite this Object

Pendant designed by Charles Robert Ashbee 2016, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 29 June 2017, <https://ma.as/36948>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/36948 |title=Pendant designed by Charles Robert Ashbee |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=29 June 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Full description  
Incomplete

This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.

Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US