Tailor’s boxes of buttons

Made in England, 1918-2003.

The craft of tailoring gradually developed in Europe from the twelfth century. In Australia, tailors were once a common sight in country towns and suburban main streets. Before the 1800s a suit ‘made to order’ was reserved for the wealthy. By the late 1800s increasing numbers of Australian working men had at least one good suit as a sign of respectability. Suits could be purchased ready-made, made to measure from a local tailor or the fabric and style could be chosen at a men’s wear store and th...

Summary

2007/127/25
Boxes of buttons (2), cardboard / plastic / metal / cotton / ink, made by English Sewing Ltd, England, used by Ron and Maxwell Gillman, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, 1918-2003

Two boxes of buttons. The buttons are not in their original packaging. The boxes are made of cardboard and have a removable lid. One box has a light blue base and the other has a white base. For both boxes the lid is dark and light blue. Printed on the top of both lids is: 'DEWHURST'S', 'SYLKO', 'MACHINE TWIST FAST COLOUR', 'A product of ENGLISH SEWING LTD-Thread Division' and 'Made in Great Britain'. On one side of box is: 'SYLKO' and on the other is: 'SYLKO IS A REGISTERED TRADE MARK AND THE SALE OF ANY OTHER BRAND OF SEWING COTTON AS 'SYLKO' IS AN INFRINGEMENT OF THE MANUFACTURER'S RIGHTS'. Printed on one end is 'article No. E006 cotton thread 8 reels each 650 yds. (594 mts)'.

One of the boxes at one end of its lid has a button attached with a piece of metal to a white piece of cardboard that's sewn onto the box. The button is the same as one of the buttons inside the box. Hand written in blue pen on the piece of cardboard is: 'VERY DARK GREY'. On the base of the box is a small white label that says: 'WHITE'. Inside the box is a smaller box with no lid. Inside this box are eighty seven small dark grey plastic buttons. They have four holes at their centre. Inside the larger box are also twelve small dark grey plastic buttons and forty three buttons of the same type but larger.

The other box has at one end of its lid a button sewn onto a piece of cardboard that's sewn onto the box. The button is the same as one of the buttons inside the box. Hand written on the piece of cardboard is 'Dark Brown'. On one end of it's base is: 'PINS' hand written in black pen. On it's end is a label that says: 'D.13' and 'DK. NAVY'. Inside the box is a smaller box with no lid. Inside this box is thirty six dark brown small plastic buttons. They have four holes at their centre. In the main box there are seventy three buttons that are a larger version of the other buttons.

Dimensions

95 mm
54 mm

Production

Maker of the box is English Sewing Ltd, England. Maker and place of manufacture of the buttons is unknown.
1918-2003

History

These boxes of buttons came from Ron Gillman's tailor shop in Wagga Wagga. Ron was a third generation tailor. His grandfather, Joseph Gillman was a master tailor who arrived in the Riverina in 1883 from England. He established a tailoring business in the same year at Cootamundra and later in Hillston, Narrandera and Lockhart. Joseph and his wife had eight children, three of them boys. The three sons joined Joseph in his business and he taught them the trade. Two of the sons, Joseph Jnr and Maxwell opened a tailoring shop at 216 Baylis St Wagga Wagga in 1918. After eighteen months Joseph Jnr decided to start his own business and Maxwell carried on at Baylis St as M M Gillman. In 1932 Maxwell's son, Ron, went to work for his father at age 14 during the height of the Depression. During 1938 the business moved next door to 214 Baylis Street and in 1946 the business name was changed to M M Gillman & Son. Maxwell retired in 1949 and Ron took over the business.

Ron was trained to cut but did not do so until his father retired in 1949. Work done in the tailor shop was strictly divided along clear lines. For example, only the men did the 'tailoring' which was the hand sewing. The women were employed to machine sew straight seams and their wages were about half that of the men. There were eight people, the highest ever number, working in the shop in 1940. These included Maxwell, Ron and six women, two of whom were Ron's sisters.

Half of Ron's clients were farmers and half were working men. Professionals in the area took their tailoring requirements to Sydney. Much of a tailor's profit came from selling the material to make the suit. If a customer supplied the material profits were reduced. Ron said: 'that's the cream ... selling the material was the cream, making the job was the skim milk.' Prices were based on a day for a tailor to make a pair of trousers and four days for a two-piece suit.

Ron was a high class tailor. The styles of suits, jackets and pants that he made remained conservative over his career. Tailors sat cross-legged on their work bench, supporting the garment on their knees while they finished off by hand. Ron's workroom and those of his father and grandfather were behind the retail area that was at the front of the shop.

In 1970 Ron moved to the Nelso Arcade at 117 Baylis Street and he took as much of the old shop as he could. In 1992 he made his last suit, however he kept his shop open for alterations until November 2003 when he closed up shop.
Gillman, Maxwell 1918-2003

Source

Gift of Ron Gillman, 2007

Cite this Object

Tailor's boxes of buttons 2016, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 25 March 2017, <https://ma.as/366980>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/366980 |title=Tailor's boxes of buttons |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=25 March 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Full description  
Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US