Tailor’s ‘HECLA’ electric iron

Made by Hecla Electrics Pty Ltd in Australia, Oceania, c. 1960.

The craft of tailoring gradually developed in Europe from the twelfth century. In Australia, tailors were once a common sight in country towns and suburban main streets. Before the 1800s a suit ‘made to order’ was reserved for the wealthy. By the late 1800s increasing numbers of Australian working men had at least one good suit as a sign of respectability. Suits could be purchased ready-made, made to measure from a local tailor or the fabric and style could be chosen at a men’s wear store and th...

Summary

2007/127/7
Electric iron, metal / plastic / fabric, made by Hecla Electrics Pty Ltd, c. 1960, used by Ron Gillman, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, 1960-2003

An electric iron. The body of the iron has three parts. The bottom is flat and made of dense metal. In between is a thin layer of white thickly woven material. The third section is made of metal covered in green and white speckled enamel. The body of the iron has a flat back and curves to a point at its front. Its handle is metal and is attached with large screws at the top and back side of the base. The top of the handle is covered in burgandy plastic that has finger grooves.

At the top near the back of the base is a small white ceramic rectangular piece that has a metal compartment above it. Connected to the compartment is an electrical cord. Surrounding a section of the cord near the compartment is a section of spiralled metal. The cord is cream and red. Olive cotton is wrapped around the cord near where it is attached to an electrical plug. The electrical plug is plastic with three prongs. Marked on it is: 'MADE IN AUSTRALIA', 'E', 'CAT 100', '10A' AND '240V'. There is a piece of wire covered in blue plastic hanging from the cord.

Dimensions

172 mm
83 mm

Production

Made by Hecla Electrics Pty Ltd in Australia.
Hecla Electrics Pty Ltd c. 1960

History

This electric iron came from Ron Gillman's tailor shop in Wagga Wagga. Ron was a third generation tailor. His grandfather, Joseph Gillman, was a master tailor who arrived in the Riverina in 1883 from England. He established a tailoring business in the same year at Cootamundra and later in Hillston, Narrandera and Lockhart. Joseph and his wife had eight children, three of them boys. The three sons joined Joseph in his business and he taught them the trade. Two of the sons, Joseph Jnr and Maxwell opened a tailoring shop at 216 Baylis St Wagga Wagga in 1918. After eighteen months Joseph Jnr decided to start his own business and Maxwell carried on at Baylis St as M M Gillman. In 1932 Maxwell's son, Ron, went to work for his father at age 14 during the height of the Depression. During 1938 the business moved next door to 214 Baylis Street and in 1946 the business name was changed to M M Gillman & Son. Maxwell retired in 1949 and Ron took over the business.

Ron was trained to cut but did not do so until his father retired in 1949. Work done in the tailor shop was strictly divided along clear lines. For example, only the men did the 'tailoring' which was the hand sewing. The women were employed to machine sew straight seams and their wages were about half that of the men. There were eight people, the highest ever number, working in the shop in 1940. These included Maxwell, Ron and six women, two of whom were Ron's sisters.

Half of Ron's clients were farmers and half were working men. Professionals in the area took their tailoring requirements to Sydney. Much of a tailor's profit came from selling the material to make the suit. If a customer supplied the material profits were reduced. Ron said: 'that's the cream ... selling the material was the cream, making the job was the skim milk.' Prices were based on a day for a tailor to make a pair of trousers and four days for a two-piece suit.

Ron was a high class tailor. The styles of suits, jackets and pants that he made remained conservative over his career. Tailors sat cross-legged on their work bench, supporting the garment on their knees while they finished off by hand. Ron's workroom and those of his father and grandfather were behind the retail area that was at the front of the shop.

In 1970 Ron moved to the Nelso Arcade at 117 Baylis Street and he took as much of the old shop as he could. In 1992 he made his last suit, however he kept his shop open for alterations until November 2003 when he closed up shop.

This electric iron was used to flatten seams during the tailoring process. This iron is the latest one that Ron had. Electric irons replaced flat irons and gas stoves in the Gillman's business in 1941.
Gillman, Ron 1960-2003

Source

Gift of Ron Gillman, 2007
17 September, 2007

Cite this Object

Tailor's 'HECLA' electric iron 2017, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 24 November 2017, <https://ma.as/366795>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/366795 |title=Tailor's 'HECLA' electric iron |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=24 November 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US