The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
2006/61/1-18/7 Photographic print, black and white, truck at Bobbin Head Rd, Turramurra, New South Wales, Australia, 1 October, 1942. Click to enlarge.

Photograph of truck at Bobbin Head Road in Turramurra from the Arthur Gillott Archive

Photographed
These photographs are from an archive which relates to the Gillott family bus and haulage company which operated from Sydney's North Shore from the 1930s. Over a period of 63 years Arthur H. Gillott, together with his family, developed and operated a multi-faceted road transport and haulage service comprising small delivery tip trucks, buses, taxis, hire cars and heavy haulage vehicles. The company's growth and development was a microcosm of what was occurring in the wider community in …

Summary

Object No.

2006/61/1-18/7

Object Statement

Photographic print, black and white, truck at Bobbin Head Rd, Turramurra, New South Wales, Australia, 1 October, 1942

Physical Description

Photographic print, black & white, truck at Bobbin Head Rd, Turramurra, New South Wales, Australia, 1 October, 1942

Marks

Annotation in ink on reverse "1936 - C35 International/ 1-10-42"

Production

History

Notes

The history relating to the Gillott family transport archive is divided into: local haulage; the depot, workshop and service station; taxis and hire cars; buses; highway haulage; and the move to Pymble.

Local Haulage

Arthur Hellewell Gillott was born on 5 August 1906 at Palmerston North, New Zealand, the son of George Gillott and Clara Hamling. He undertook his Qualifying Certificate at Mortdale Public School in 1919. Throughout the 1920s and early '30s Arthur gained his early work experience in the motor engineering trade when motoring in Australia was just becoming a popular but expensive form of personal transport and the motor truck was beginning to take the place of the horse and cart. He also worked in the building trade and undertook office work being employed by the Warrawee Motor Works at Warrawee, under the management of Manager, D. Ross Limbach; Sidney Syne, contractor of Pitt Street, Sydney; The Boy Scouts Association in Margaret Street, Sydney; W.H Douglass, building and general contractors at North Fitzroy in Victoria, and the Lindfield Motor Works Ltd back on the North Shore of Sydney. During the 1920s he was also one of the racing car "kings" of the Maroubra Speedway and in 1929 married Enid Matilda Tunbridge of Warragal Road, Turramurra. From 1932 Arthur ran the service station at Lindfield for A.J. (Jack) Wagg, with a staff of six mechanics under him and also drove Wagg's Lindfield buses. Before he had turned 30 years of age Arthur had gained excellent practical experience as a motor mechanic together with office and administrative skills and working with staff which would all stand him in good stead.

On 1 January, 1935, Arthur set up his own haulage contracting business with his brother-in-law, Herbert Tunbridge, and formed the carrying firm, Tunbridge & Gillott. They each began driving a Chevrolet truck and advertised their firm as "Dependable Carrying Contractors Anything, Anywhere, Any time. We Supply Foundation Stone, Flagging, Sand, Metal, Ashes, Turf, Topdressing and Manure". The trucks undertook local carting jobs all over the North Shore at a time when building construction in the pre-War period was high. From the beginning it was a family business with Mrs Enid Gillott, Arthur's wife, an active member of the company working as his secretary.

By the Second World War Arthur began to expand his firm having two trucks working on the graving dock at Garden Island, another in Queensland and another in the Northern Territory with the Allied Works Council. After that he went back to hauling building supplies again around the North Shore. His trucks mainly comprised the chassis of the Canadian Chevrolet, "Maple-Leaf" with bodies built in his own workshop. The early trucks included:

Truck No. 1, a 1940 Maple Leaf 133-inch wheelbase tipper, in a blue livery, new on 10 October 1940, and paid for in cash for 596 pounds 10 shillings, with registration number KP588 and EZ318. During the Second World War Gillott sent this truck to Pine Creek in the Northern Territory to construct the road between Alice Springs and Darwin for the Civil Construction Company.

Truck No.2, a 1939 "Maple-Leaf" tipper, in a blue livery.

Truck No.3, a 1938 "Maple-Leaf" tipper in a fawn livery with registration number EZ 317. This truck was impressed for use by the Army on 26 May 1942.

Truck No.4, a 1938 "Maple-Leaf" tipper with a hoist, in a blue livery and registration number EZ 272.

Truck No.5, a 1936 International C35 bought from LS Board for 520 pounds with registration number NA 392. This truck was sold to C. Fletcher of West Ryde on 2 October 1943.

Cite this Object

Harvard

Photograph of truck at Bobbin Head Road in Turramurra from the Arthur Gillott Archive 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 17 October 2021, <https://ma.as/366408>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/366408 |title=Photograph of truck at Bobbin Head Road in Turramurra from the Arthur Gillott Archive |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=17 October 2021 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}