The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
2007/66/1 Neon sign, greyhound, particle board / neon tubes, made by Claude Neon, used by Wentworth Park Raceway, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1993-2006. Click to enlarge.

Neon sign from Wentworth Park Raceway Sydney

Made in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1993.

Neon Gas was first discovered by William Ramsay and M.W Travers in 1898 in London. In 1902 a French engineer Georges Claude applied an electric discharge to a sealed tube of neon gas to create a neon lamp. By 1923, Claude's company Claude Neon had introduced neon gas signs to America; Sydney's first neon sign was installed on the Tivoli Theatre, William Street in 1927. From the 1930s to the 1970s neon signs were a major form of outdoor advertising. As a visual embodiment of electricity and nig...

Summary

Object No.

2007/66/1

Object Statement

Neon sign, greyhound, particle board / neon tubes, made by Claude Neon, used by Wentworth Park Raceway, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1993-2006

Physical Description

The sign consists of a particle board sheet cut to form the outline of a greyhound. Neon tubes are fitted to one side, following the outline of the backing sheet.

Dimensions

Height

500 mm

Production

Notes

The neon sign was made in 1993 by Claude Neon. Established in 1930, Claude Neon (Australia) pioneered neon signage in Sydney. The company's dominance of the industry results in large part from its ownership or long-standing rental of prominent sign sites. These include the Coke sign at the top of William Street and the roof of Young & Jackson's Hotel in Melbourne.

History

Owned

1993-2006

Notes

The sign was installed overlooking Wattle Street, Ultimo in 1993. It was removed in 2006 following the decision of the Wentworth Park Trust to promote the stadium as a general sporting complex rather than a greyhound-specific venue.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Wentworth Park Sporting Complex Trust, 2007

Acquisition Date

20 June 2007

Cite this Object

Harvard

Neon sign from Wentworth Park Raceway Sydney 2019, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 20 January 2020, <https://ma.as/365119>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/365119 |title=Neon sign from Wentworth Park Raceway Sydney |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=20 January 2020 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US