‘Holden’ chrome car badge

Made by General Motors-Holden Automotive Ltd in Australia, 1960.

The twelve car badges are representative of the top three Australian car manufacturers between 1960 and 1980, General Motors Holden Australia, Ford Australia and Chrysler Australia Ltd. The badges are from the following cars: FE Holden of 1956-58; FC Holden of 1958-1960; FB Holden of 1960; EH Holden of 1963-65; HR Holden Premier of 1966-68; HT and HG Holden Monaro GTS of 1969-1970; Holden HQ (Kingswood) of 1971-74; Holden Torana UC of 1978; Ford Falcon XW and XY of 1969-1972; and Chrysler Valian...

Summary

2005/67/3
Car badge, 'Holden' from an FB Holden, chrome, General Motors Holden, Australia, 1960

The letters of the word 'Holden' are represented in upper case, bold rectangular-shaped letters which are joined by a long arrow-like length of metal which passed through the centre of each letter. The badge is made of a zinc-based diecast alloy which has been electroplated with chrome.

Dimensions

16 mm
20 mm

Production

The 'Holden' badge is from the boot lid of a 1960 Holden FB sedan. The FB Holden was released in January 1960, in answer to Ford's XK Falcon. The FB model, more than any other, reflected the fascination of American culture of the 1950s with its heavy embellishments and wraparound windscreen, lower bonnet line and finned rear guards. The FB Holden was lower, wider and longer than previous models. There were mechanical improvements and re-styling inside and out. Large diecast mouldings were used for the tail light assembly together with a flare on the rear fenders and a slope on the roof.
The FB had the first 'real' fins, (the FC's ones being add ons) as well as a new American-style dashboard with speedo featuring an orange-coloured curved indicator band instead of a needle pointer and wrap-around windscreen with dog-leg windscreen pillars and sloping rear glass. This was an increase in overall glass area of the FC of 27%. In addition to these modern features, the FB also had a lower and flatter bonnet line, no longer having a hint of the classic V shape of the late 1930's.
Furthermore, a more efficient interior layout increased usable room. A fully drained plenum chamber that collected air from a full-width intake vent between the front windscreen and the rear edge of the bonnet, considerably improved the ventilation throughout the car. Options like the 'Warmaride' heater/demister and a radio added to the plush Americanised environment.

A total of 174,747 FB Holdens were built from 1960 to 1961. It was the first Holden with acrylic paint work and the first for which left-hand drive export versions were produced.
General Motors-Holden Automotive Ltd 1960

Source

Ex-Museum stock

Cite this Object

'Holden' chrome car badge 2016, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 30 March 2017, <https://ma.as/349490>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/349490 |title='Holden' chrome car badge |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=30 March 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Full description  
This object is currently on display in Store 3 at the Museums Discovery Centre
Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US