Vase made at Bagot Pottery

Made in Bagot, Northern Territory, Australia, 1967-1974.

In 1967, a Pottery and Clay Processing Unit was established at Bagot as part of the co-operative research program into ‘Aboriginal traditional technology, skills patterns and work habits’, which was proceeding under the general direction of Professor L.M. Haynes (1913-2000), Head of the Department of Industrial Arts, University of New South Wales, and Mr E.P. Milliken, Director of Research, Welfare Branch of the Northern Territory Administration.

The Pottery and Clay Processing Unit, designed b...

Summary

2006/39/21
Vase, ceramic, maker unknown, made at the Ceramic Research Unit, Bagot, Northern Territory, Australia, 1967-1974

A ceramic vase with a sandy grey glaze. The top half of the vase features an abstract design in brown featuring boomerang motifs and swirls. Makers mark on the base.

Dimensions

155 mm
120 mm

Production

Made at the Ceramic Research Unit, Bagot, Northern Territory, 1967-1974.
1967-1974

History

This collection of earthenware and stoneware pots was made between 1967 and 1974 by Indigenous potters training at the Ceramics Research Unit at Bagot, near Darwin. Established by the Department of Industrial Arts at the University of New South Wales, the Unit trained potters from Bathurst Island, Port Keats and other parts of the Northern Territory to make pots for the commercial market. Many of their works sold at small exhibitions in Darwin.

Leading the Department of Industrial Arts, Professor Leslie M. Hayes (1913-2000) collected these and other pots from the Unit, and purchased a small selection from exhibitions. In addition, he and his wife, Janice Haynes (formerly his research assistant), collected bark paintings and other Indigenous material while travelling between Sydney and Darwin. At the time of his retirement in 1978, Professor Haynes amalgamated this private collection with departmental data, notes, films, reports, slides and photographs to form an extensive research collection. He hoped to use this material to write a report on the unit, though could not complete this task due to ill health.

Following Professor Haynes' death in 2000, Janice Haynes offered the collection to the Powerhouse Museum, which assisted in dispersing the material to several specialist institutions. The Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Studies (AIATSIS) in Canberra holds the films, photographs and five pots; the Powerhouse Museum owns the bulk of the pottery as well as the Departmental report (call no: 378.9441 UNI) and three bark paintings; while the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, the Queen Victoria Museum and Gallery, the Shepparton Art Gallery and the Manly Museum and Gallery share all but four of the pots that remain with Mrs Haynes.
Haynes, Leslie M

Source

Donated through the Australian Government Cultural Gifts Program by Janice M Haynes, the collections of Leslie M Haynes (1913-2000) and Janice M Haynes (formerly J M Waddell), 2006
28 March, 2006

Cite this Object

Vase made at Bagot Pottery 2013, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 24 November 2017, <https://ma.as/346833>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/346833 |title=Vase made at Bagot Pottery |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=24 November 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US