Ceramics designer, Susie Cooper, created the vivid pattern on this vase in around 1925 for A E Gray & Co. (Gray's Pottery) in Staffordshire, England. Cooper worked at Gray's Pottery from 1922 to 1929, establishing herself as a celebrated modernist designer. This piece is typical of her contemporary work that combined bright colours with restrained motifs, appealing to a conservative, middle-class clientele. Her work at this time was not marked though is now recognisable from its floral patterns, classical motifs, jazz designs, nursery scenes and bright banding. Her lustres were also highly decorative and immensely popular.
In October 1929, Cooper left Gray's Pottery to form the 'Susie Cooper Pottery' with her brother-in-law, A.E. Beeson. This gave Cooper complete control of her work, including the ability to experiment with glazes, shapes and patterns. Located first at Tunstall and then at Burslem, the pottery employed six women who painted Cooper's designs onto earthenware blanks. It gained a high profile in the 1930s, largely for its tableware, and received several important commissions. Always reflecting contemporary taste, the pottery prospered until 1966 when Susie Cooper retired.