The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
2003/69/1-3 Pair of electrodes, part of electrotherapeutic induction coil, supplied by Stanford X-ray Co Pty Ltd, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1940. Click to enlarge.

Pair of electrodes for an electrotherapeutic induction coil

Made
Electrical therapeutic devices have been popular since the late 19th century for treating many kinds of ailments and diseases. Even before the scientific principles behind the production of electric currents were properly understood, electrical apparatus were manufactured both for home use and for physicians and other practitioners.

One kind of device was the induction coil, which sent an electric current through the patient's body. These are still used by physiotherapists to stimulate …

Summary

Object No.

2003/69/1-3

Object Statement

Pair of electrodes, part of electrotherapeutic induction coil, supplied by Stanford X-ray Co Pty Ltd, Victoria, Australia, 1930-1940

Physical Description

Pair of electrodes, part of electrotherapeutic induction coil, wood / plastic / metal, supplied by Stanford X-ray Co Pty Ltd, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, [1930 - 1940]

Pair of electrodes for electrotherapeutic induction coil comprising a rectangular sheet of black metal with a white plastic covered copper wire attached to a cylindrical piece of wood. The wire is held to the wood by masking tape and in the base are a pair of nails through two layers of dark metal. The wire attached to the metal and wood is also joined at a third point and separates at the ends, showing the internal copper fibres.

Marks

None

Dimensions

Width

300 mm

Production

Notes

The actual manufacturer of the device is not known, although a plate on the main case (2003/69/1-1) states 'Supplied by Stanford X-ray Co. Pty Ltd'. This company no longer exists but was in Collingwood, Victoria. It is likely that the device was modified by the owner.

History

Notes

The device belongs to an electrotherapeutic induction coil and was owned by the donor's grandfather, Mr Thomas Leslie Palmer of Cooranbong New South Wales, who used it to treat his rheumatism. In 1991 the donor, Ms Hazel Palmer, recalled that her grandfather died 'about five years ago', while in 2002 her recollection was that he died 'about 25 years ago'. Her father inherited it but he did not use it and it sat in his garage at Merriwa until the donor gave it to the Powerhouse in 1991. Reference: Conversations between Mrs Hazel Palmer and Megan Hicks, curator of health and medicine, in 1991 and 2002.

Cite this Object

Harvard

Pair of electrodes for an electrotherapeutic induction coil 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 25 September 2022, <https://ma.as/341228>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/341228 |title=Pair of electrodes for an electrotherapeutic induction coil |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=25 September 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}