Clichy glass paperweight with a millefiori design.

Made c 1845-1960

In 1953, Sydney collector, Annie Maria Gillies, bequeathed around 100 decorative art objects to the Vaucluse Park Trust, which later became part of the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales. In 1998, the Trust transferred this collection to the Powerhouse Museum.

The greater part of this collection consists of around 80 examples of English porcelain dating from the mid eighteenth to the early nineteenth century.
Among other objects is this fine glass paperweight made at the Clichy glasswork...

Summary

2005/201/16
Round, clear glass paperweight with 19 millefiori arranged in two rings placed around a pink and green rosebud in the centre.

Dimensions

50 mm

Production

Paperweights produced at the Clichy glassworks used boric glass. This metal is lighter in weight than lead glass used at Baccarat and St. Louis and causes the internal image to appear sharper.
c 1845-1960

Source

Transfer from the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales, 1999 Bequest of Annie Maria Gillies, 1953

Cite this Object

Clichy glass paperweight with a millefiori design. 2016, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 26 March 2017, <https://ma.as/319319>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/319319 |title=Clichy glass paperweight with a millefiori design. |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=26 March 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Full description  
Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US