Glass plate negative, full plate, ‘St James Church, Sydney’, Henry King, Sydney, Australia, c. 1880-1900

Made by King, Henry in Australia, Oceania, c. 1880-1900.

This photographic negative was taken by the Sydney based photographer Henry King. It is part of a collection of over 1300 glass plates taken between 1880 and 1917, although most appear to have been made in the late 1880s and 1890s

King was one of the Colony’s most significant early photographers and although born in England around 1855 grew up in Sydney. He found work with the well-known Sydney photographer J. Hubert Newman and in 1880 established a studio in partnership with William Slade. Fou...

Summary

85/1285-85
Glass negative, full plate, 'St James Church, Sydney', Henry King, Sydney, Australia, c. 1880-1900.

Silver gelatin dry plate glass negative in landscape format. The caption, studio number and studio mark are inscribed on the reverse of the negative.

The negative is not fully catalogued.

16/67 Tyrrell Inventory Number, 107 King Studio Number

Dimensions

215 mm

Production

Henry King became sole proprietor of a photographic studio in George Street in 1880. Henry King's studio closed around 1900 and Charles Kerry acquired some of his negatives.
King, Henry c. 1880-1900

History

This photograph is one of 1334 Henry King photographs which are also part of a larger collection of 7,900 negatives once owned by Sydney bookseller, James Tyrrell. After King's death in 1923 the studio collection of glass negatives was purchased by Tyrrell.

In addition to the Henry King images, the Tyrrell Collection at the Powerhouse Museum includes glass plate negatives published by Kerry & Co. Studio and a number of other negatives by unattributed photographers. James Tyrrell used the images by Kerry & Co. and Henry King to produce his own booklets and views of New South Wales but although full of iconic Australian images, the collection does not appear to have been fully utilised by Tyrrell.

The photographic collection acquired by Tyrrell was purchased by Australian Consolidated Press and its new owners almost immediately set about producing a limited series of complete sets of contact prints of the collection for libraries and museums in New South Wales. Housed in boxes copies of these were given to the State Library of New South Wales and the Macleay Museum at the University of Sydney.

In 1985 Australian Consolidated Press donated the collection to the Powerhouse Museum. The collection at this time consisted of 7,903 glass plate negatives and 7,916 contact positive prints. Of these 493 glass plates were damaged but usable and 13 plates totally broken.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, December, 2008
Australian Consolidated Press

Source

Gift of Australian Consolidated Press under the Taxation Incentives for the Arts Scheme, 1985
1 January, 1970

Cite this Object

Glass plate negative, full plate, 'St James Church, Sydney', Henry King, Sydney, Australia, c. 1880-1900 2017, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 22 October 2017, <https://ma.as/31628>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/31628 |title=Glass plate negative, full plate, 'St James Church, Sydney', Henry King, Sydney, Australia, c. 1880-1900 |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=22 October 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US