The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
85/1284-51 Glass plate negative, full plate, entitled 'The Church, Camden', depicting St John the Evangelist Church of England, silver gelatin, made by Kerry and Co, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, c. 1884-1917, part of Tyrrell Collection. Click to enlarge.

Photograph of Camden, NSW, with St John's Anglican Church

Made
This photograph from a glass plate negative shows the town of Camden, with St John the Evangelist Church of England seen at the top of the hill. Camden is located south west of Sydney on the Nepean River. The church was built from 1840 to 1849 by Richard Basden, John Le Fevre and Johnathan Wheeler. It was associated with some of the most important architects in the colony having been designed by John Cunningham and Mortimer William Lewis and an 1872 extension designed by Edmund Thomas Blacket …

Summary

Object No.

85/1284-51

Object Statement

Glass plate negative, full plate, entitled 'The Church, Camden', depicting St John the Evangelist Church of England, silver gelatin, made by Kerry and Co, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, c. 1884-1917, part of Tyrrell Collection

Physical Description

Silver gelatin dry plate glass negative in landscape format. There is no studio mark on this negative, the Tyrrell Collection Inventory records the image as being taken by Kerry and Co.

This negative is not fully catalogued.

16/80 Tyrrell Inventory Number, 100 Kerry Studio Number

Dimensions

Width

215 mm

Production

Notes

Charles Kerry was born in 1858 and by 1885 was running a studio in partnership with C. D. Jones. This partnership lasted until 1892, when Charles became sole owner and changed the studio's name to Kerry and Co.

By 1890 the company was employing a number of photographers who would become famous in their own right. George Bell who covered rural New South Wales was employed in 1890 and Harold Bradley was doing outdoor work and covering events around Sydney by 1899.

Kerry continued to work in the field and in 1895 he took photographs of Royal National Park for New South Wales Government, photographed Queensland artesian bores and was employed by the New South Wales Government to travel the state and photograph Indigenous Australians. In 1897 Kerry led the first party to reach the summit of Mt Kosciuszko in winter conditions and photographed the Jenolan caves.

By 1900 Kerry had turned his studio into one of the largest and most respected photographic establishments in the colony. His new four story premises at 310 George St were designed by the architect H. C. Kent and the third floor studios alone could accommodate 70 people wanting their portraits taken.

In 1913 Kerry retired leaving the running of the studio to his nephew, unfortunately the business did not do well and Kerry and Co. closed its doors in 1917. Kerry himself died in 1928.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, January, 2009

References
Newton, Gael, Shades of Light; Photography and Australia 1839 - 1988, Australian National Gallery, Canberra, 1988
David, Millar, Charles Kerry's Federation Australia, Sydney, David Ell Press, 1981
Tyrrell, James, Australian Aboriginal and South Sea Islands Implements, Weapons and Curios, James Tyrrell, Sydney, 1929

History

Notes

This photographic negative is one of 2900 Kerry & Co. photographs in the Powerhouse Museum's 'Tyrrell Collection' once owned by Sydney bookseller, James Tyrrell. Almost all of these negatives are 21.5 x 20.3 cm (10 x 8 inch) glass plates and many of those now held by the Powerhouse Museum collection would have been used to create postcards. In addition to the Kerry & Co. Studio images, the Tyrrell Collection at the Powerhouse Museum includes glass plate negatives published by Henry King and a number of other negatives by unattributed photographers

James Tyrrell used the images by Kerry & Co. and Henry King to produce his own booklets and views of New South Wales but although full of iconic Australian images, the collection does not appear to have been fully utilised by Tyrrell.

In 1980 the collection was purchased by Australian Consolidated Press who published a limited series of 2000 contact prints from the collection. Housed in boxes copies of these were given to the State Library of New South Wales and the Macleay Museum at the University of Sydney.

In 1985 Australian Consolidated Press donated the collection to the Powerhouse keeping a set of copy prints for themselves. The collection at this time consisted of 7,903 glass plate negatives and 7,916 contact positive prints.

A further 2,500 Kerry & Co. negatives are held in the Macleay Museum at the University of Sydney, although these do not appear to have been acquired from Charles Kerry and Co. by Tyrrell.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, January, 2009

References
Newton, Gael, Shades of Light; Photography and Australia 1839 - 1988, Australian National Gallery, Canberra, 1988
David, Millar, Charles Kerry's Federation Australia, Sydney, David Ell Press, 1981
Tyrrell, James, Australian Aboriginal and South Sea Islands Implements, Weapons and Curios, James Tyrrell, Sydney, 1929

Cite this Object

Harvard

Photograph of Camden, NSW, with St John's Anglican Church 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 21 September 2021, <https://ma.as/29912>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/29912 |title=Photograph of Camden, NSW, with St John's Anglican Church |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=21 September 2021 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}