The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
85/1284-304 Glass plate negative, full plate, entitled 'Kurraba Point, Neutral Bay', depicting the steam, ferry 'Waringa', Kerry and Co, Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 1905-1907. Click to enlarge.

Photograph of Kurraba Point, Neutral Bay, NSW, 1905-1907

Made
This image from a glass plate negative, produced between 1905 and 1907, shows a view on Sydney Harbour depicting Kurraba Point looking west from Neutral Bay. The ferry 'Waringa' can be seen in the centre of the image, steaming towards Kurraba Wharf possibly from the High Street Wharf. The 'Waringa' was rebuilt and renamed 'Karaga' in 1913 and was subsequently used by the Royal Australian Navy during World War II. Numerous buildings and structures can be seen in the photograph including houses, boatsheds and wharves. Three paddle steamers of the Port Jackson and Manly Ferry Company are shown in the background docked at the company's repair and maintenance yard. From the left they are the 'Fairlight', 'Brightside' (formerly the 'Emu') and 'Brighton'. The 'Brighton' was the largest paddle ferry on Port Jackson and the only Manly ferry with two funnels. The 'Emu' was built in 1865 and converted in 1902 for use on the Manly run as a cargo ferry, as in this photograph. The 'Brightside' was broken up in 1909.

Graeme Andrews OAM, Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences volunteer under the supervision of Margaret Simpson, Curator, August 2015.

This photographic negative was published by the Sydney firm Charles Kerry & Co. and is part of the Powerhouse Museum's Tyrrell collection which contains over 2,900 glass plate negatives by Kerry & Co. Although a few appear to be from the 1880s most were produced between 1892 and 1917. Over this period, and well into the early 1900s, prints from these negatives appeared in many Australian publications and albums of views. In 1903 the company began producing postcards from these negatives, further establishing the images as some of the most significant and best known early views of New South Wales.

Some of the more significant themes covered by the collection include; views of New South Wales, Queensland, country towns, Sydney, Indigenous Australians, the South Pacific, rural life, native flora and fauna, and sentimental views. In addition a number of significant events from the 1900s are covered by the collection including; embarkation of troops for the Boer War, Hordens fire, the Inauguration of the Commonwealth in 1901, the arrival of the Great White Fleet and the Burns verses Johnson boxing match at Rushcutters Bay in 1908.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, January, 2009

References
Newton, Gael, Shades of Light; Photography and Australia 1839 - 1988, Australian National Gallery, Canberra, 1988
David, Millar, Charles Kerry's Federation Australia, Sydney, David Ell Press, 1981
Tyrrell, James, Australian Aboriginal and South Sea Islands Implements, Weapons and Curios, James Tyrrell, Sydney, 1929

Summary

Object No.

85/1284-304

Object Statement

Glass plate negative, full plate, entitled 'Kurraba Point, Neutral Bay', depicting the steam, ferry 'Waringa', Kerry and Co, Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 1905-1907

Physical Description

Glass plate negative, full plate, entitled 'Kurraba Point, Neutral Bay', depicting the steam, ferry 'Waringa', Kerry and Co, Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 1905-1907

Silver gelatin dry plate glass negative in landscape format. The image depicts Kurraba Point looking west from Neutral Bay. The Waringa Ferry is depicted in the centre of the image, steaming towards Kurraba Wharf possibly from the High Street Wharf. Passengers can be seen travelling on the ferry. Kurraba Point is depicted in the background of the image. Numerous buildings and structures can be seen including houses, boatsheds and wharves. Kurraba Wharf can be seen in the centre of the background. Numerous vessels including steamers and paddle steamers can be seen docked at Kurraba Point in the background in the centre right of the image. The caption, studio mark and number are inscribed on the reverse of the negative.

1/220 Tyrrell Inventory Number, 548 Kerry Studio Number

Marks

Caption, studio number and studio mark on plate emulsion verso lower right corner, inscribed by hand in reverse print in ink "KURRABA POINT, / NEUTRAL BAY. / 548. Kerry. Sydney."
Inscription on plate emulsion verso top centre, scratched by "548" and upper right corner, scratched by hand "47".

Dimensions

Width

215 mm

Production

Notes

Charles Kerry was born in 1858 and by 1885 was running a studio in partnership with C. D. Jones. This partnership lasted until 1892, when Charles became sole owner and changed the studio's name to Kerry and Co.

By 1890 the company was employing a number of photographers who would become famous in their own right. George Bell who covered rural New South Wales was employed in 1890 and Harold Bradley was doing outdoor work and covering events around Sydney by 1899.

Kerry continued to work in the field and in 1895 he took photographs of Royal National Park for New South Wales Government, photographed Queensland artesian bores and was employed by the New South Wales Government to travel the state and photograph Indigenous Australians. In 1897 Kerry led the first party to reach the summit of Mt Kosciuszko in winter conditions and photographed the Jenolan caves.

By 1900 Kerry had turned his studio into one of the largest and most respected photographic establishments in the colony. His new four story premises at 310 George St were designed by the architect H. C. Kent and the third floor studios alone could accommodate 70 people wanting their portraits taken.

In 1913 Kerry retired leaving the running of the studio to his nephew, unfortunately the business did not do well and Kerry and Co. closed its doors in 1917. Kerry himself died in 1928.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, January, 2009

References
Newton, Gael, Shades of Light; Photography and Australia 1839 - 1988, Australian National Gallery, Canberra, 1988
David, Millar, Charles Kerry's Federation Australia, Sydney, David Ell Press, 1981
Tyrrell, James, Australian Aboriginal and South Sea Islands Implements, Weapons and Curios, James Tyrrell, Sydney, 1929

History

Notes

This photographic negative is one of 2900 Kerry & Co. photographs in the Powerhouse Museum's 'Tyrrell Collection' once owned by Sydney bookseller, James Tyrrell. Almost all of these negatives are 21.5 x 20.3 cm (10 x 8 inch) glass plates and many of those now held by the Powerhouse Museum collection would have been used to create postcards. In addition to the Kerry & Co. Studio images, the Tyrrell Collection at the Powerhouse Museum includes glass plate negatives published by Henry King and a number of other negatives by unattributed photographers

James Tyrrell used the images by Kerry & Co. and Henry King to produce his own booklets and views of New South Wales but although full of iconic Australian images, the collection does not appear to have been fully utilised by Tyrrell.

In 1980 the collection was purchased by Australian Consolidated Press who published a limited series of 2000 contact prints from the collection. Housed in boxes copies of these were given to the State Library of New South Wales and the Macleay Museum at the University of Sydney.

In 1985 Australian Consolidated Press donated the collection to the Powerhouse keeping a set of copy prints for themselves. The collection at this time consisted of 7,903 glass plate negatives and 7,916 contact positive prints.

A further 2,500 Kerry & Co. negatives are held in the Macleay Museum at the University of Sydney, although these do not appear to have been acquired from Charles Kerry and Co. by Tyrrell.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, January, 2009

References
Newton, Gael, Shades of Light; Photography and Australia 1839 - 1988, Australian National Gallery, Canberra, 1988
David, Millar, Charles Kerry's Federation Australia, Sydney, David Ell Press, 1981
Tyrrell, James, Australian Aboriginal and South Sea Islands Implements, Weapons and Curios, James Tyrrell, Sydney, 1929

Cite this Object

Harvard

Photograph of Kurraba Point, Neutral Bay, NSW, 1905-1907 2020, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 19 October 2020, <https://ma.as/29684>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/29684 |title=Photograph of Kurraba Point, Neutral Bay, NSW, 1905-1907 |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=19 October 2020 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}