The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
85/1284-211 Photographic negative, miners outside a New England gold mine, glass / gelatin emulsion, published by Kerry and Co, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1885-1900. Click to enlarge.

New England gold mine

Made by Kerry and Co, c. 1889-1917.

This photographic negative was published by the Sydney firm Charles Kerry & Co. and is part of the Powerhouse Museum's Tyrrell collection which contains over 2,900 glass plate negatives by Kerry & Co. Although a few appear to be from the 1880s most were produced between 1892 and 1917. Over this period, and well into the early 1900s, prints from these negatives appeared in many Australian publications and albums of views. In 1903 the company began producing postcards from these negatives, further...

Summary

Object No.

85/1284-211

Object Statement

Photographic negative, miners outside a New England gold mine, glass / gelatin emulsion, published by Kerry and Co, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1885-1900

Physical Description

Silver gelatin dry plate glass negative in portrait format, depicting a man standing at the entrance to a gold mine. The man is leaning on a small skip at the entrance to the mine, in the centre of the imgae. The mine entrance is constructed of wood logs. A wooden track system for the skip is depicted in the foreground of the image. Three men can be seen standing at the top of the mine, near a wooden structure in the background of the image. One of the men is holding a wheelbarrow. The roof of the mine is constructed of logs, timber, branches bark and rock. Bushland is depicted in the far background of the image. The caption, studio number and studio mark are inscribed on the reverse of the negative.

The man depicted at the entrance of the mine is believed to be Stephenson Moore. The son of Samuel Moore and Catherine McMullen, he was born in 1853 at Wollombi, New South Wales. Moore owned a goldmine at Baker's Creek near Hillgrove, New South Wales in 1889. He owned the mine in partnership with three other men, Speare and McBean and another unknown man. Moore was a shopkeeper and the other partners were a banker, policeman and undertaker. It is possible that the three men depicted at the top of the mine in this image are Moore's partners. Moore was married twice and the father of nine children. He had four children with his first wife, his cousin Anne Moore and had five children with his second wife Seline Annie Williams. Moore died in 1919 and is buried at Jilliby, New South Wales.

68/22 Tyrrell Inventory Number, 330 Kerry Studio Number

Marks

Caption, studio number and studio mark on plate emulsion verso lower left corner, inscribed by hand in reverse print in ink "GOLD / MINING. / NEW / ENGLAND. / 330. Kerry. / Photo. / Sydney".
Inscription in plate emulsion verso upper right corner, scratched by hand "330".

Dimensions

Width

165 mm

Production

Made

Kerry and Co c. 1889-1917

Made

Kerry, Charles H c. 1889-1917

Notes

Charles Kerry was born in 1858 and by 1885 was running a studio in partnership with C. D. Jones. This partnership lasted until 1892, when Charles became sole owner and changed the studio's name to Kerry and Co.

By 1890 the company was employing a number of photographers who would become famous in their own right. George Bell who covered rural New South Wales was employed in 1890 and Harold Bradley was doing outdoor work and covering events around Sydney by 1899.

Kerry continued to work in the field and in 1895 he took photographs of Royal National Park for New South Wales Government, photographed Queensland artesian bores and was employed by the New South Wales Government to travel the state and photograph Indigenous Australians. In 1897 Kerry led the first party to reach the summit of Mt Kosciuszko in winter conditions and photographed the Jenolan caves.

By 1900 Kerry had turned his studio into one of the largest and most respected photographic establishments in the colony. His new four story premises at 310 George St were designed by the architect H. C. Kent and the third floor studios alone could accommodate 70 people wanting their portraits taken.

In 1913 Kerry retired leaving the running of the studio to his nephew, unfortunately the business did not do well and Kerry and Co. closed its doors in 1917. Kerry himself died in 1928.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, January, 2009

References
Newton, Gael, Shades of Light; Photography and Australia 1839 - 1988, Australian National Gallery, Canberra, 1988
David, Millar, Charles Kerry's Federation Australia, Sydney, David Ell Press, 1981
Tyrell, James, Australian Aboriginal and South Sea Islands Implements, Weapons and Curios, James Tyrell, Sydney, 1929

History

Notes

This photographic negative is one of 2900 Kerry & Co. photographs in the Powerhouse Museum's 'Tyrrell Collection' once owned by Sydney bookseller, James Tyrrell. Almost all of these negatives are 21.5 x 20.3 cm (10 x 8 inch) glass plates and many of those now held by the Powerhouse Museum collection would have been used to create postcards. In addition to the Kerry & Co. Studio images, the Tyrrell Collection at the Powerhouse Museum includes glass plate negatives published by Henry King and a number of other negatives by unattributed photographers

James Tyrrell used the images by Kerry & Co. and Henry King to produce his own booklets and views of New South Wales but although full of iconic Australian images, the collection does not appear to have been fully utilised by Tyrrell.

In 1980 the collection was purchased by Australian Consolidated Press who published a limited series of 2000 contact prints from the collection. Housed in boxes copies of these were given to the State Library of New South Wales and the Macleay Museum at the University of Sydney.

In 1985 Australian Consolidated Press donated the collection to the Powerhouse keeping a set of copy prints for themselves. The collection at this time consisted of 7,903 glass plate negatives and 7,916 contact positive prints. Of these 493 glass plates were damaged but usable and 13 plates totally broken.

A further 2,500 Kerry & Co. negatives are held in the Macleay Museum at the University of Sydney.

Geoff Barker, Curatorial, November 2008

References
Newton, Gael, Shades of Light; Photography and Australia 1839 - 1988, Australian National Gallery, Canberra, 1988
David, Millar, Charles Kerry's Federation Australia, Sydney, David Ell Press, 1981
Tyrell, James, Australian Aboriginal and South Sea Islands Implements, Weapons and Curios, James Tyrell, Sydney, 1929
Valdon, 'Our Artistic Workers; Mr. George Bell', Australian Photographic Journal, Volume 17, Number 199, December 21, 1908

Cite this Object

Harvard

New England gold mine 2017, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 6 April 2020, <https://ma.as/28769>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/28769 |title=New England gold mine |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=6 April 2020 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US