The SS “Awarua” is a large and impressive model of a New Zealand steam tug. It is 9 feet (3.57 m) in length and was built by Mr Harry F. Allen of Carlton, a Sydney suburb, in the 1940s. Awarua is a Maori mytholgical creature.
The full size steam tug was built in Scotland in 1932 by the Glasgow builders Lobnitz for the Bluff Harbour Board. Bluff Harbour is on the Foveaux Straight at the southern end of New Zealand’s South Island.
The “Awarua” left the Clyde ship yards on 23 August 1932 and st...
Copyright for the above image is held by MAAS and may be subject to third-party copyright restrictions. Please contact MAAS Rights and Permissions for information regarding reproduction, copyright and fees. Text is released under Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives licenceSubmit an image license enquiry.
This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.