The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
H4327 X-ray tube and stand, glass / metal / plastic, possibly made by W Watson & Son Ltd, Holborn, London, England, use attributed to Walter Drowley Filmer, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, c. 1896. Click to enlarge.

X-Ray tube and support stand

Made
Late in 1895 German scientist Wilhelm Roentgen published his momentous discovery of mysterious rays that could pass through flesh and make an image of the bones inside. The news travelled swiftly around the world. Within weeks Walter Drowley Filmer had used X-rays to locate a broken needle in a patient's foot in February 1896 at Newcastle Hospital, New South Wales. X-rays are produced by bombarding a metal plate with an electric current inside a glass vacuum tube.

Amongst the vast collection …

Parts of this object

Summary

Object No.

H4327

Object Statement

X-ray tube and stand, glass / metal / plastic, possibly made by W Watson & Son Ltd, Holborn, London, England, use attributed to Walter Drowley Filmer, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, c. 1896

Physical Description

X-ray tube, glass / metal, attributed to Walter Drowley Filmer, used in Newcastle, NSW, glass/metal, circa 1896

Glass sphere with two small bulbs at each end. The bulb at the top contains a slender glass tube, from which hangs a small metal square. A curved, slender glass tube is attached to the exterior of the bulb. The lower bulb contains a small concave dish, fixed to a stand.
A label attached to the sphere describes this as the first x-ray tube used in Newcastle, 1896.
(-X) Perspex stand

Marks

Two labels have been stuck to the object. One, wound around the slender glass tube, gives the manufacturer's name and location, printed in black on white paper "[illegible]SON & SON HIGH HOLBURN, LONDON."
Another label, stuck to the glass sphere, gives the X-ray tube's history, handwritten on white paper "The first X-Ray/ Tube used/ in Newcastle/ November/ 1896 H4327(written in different ink)/ [illegible]".

Production

Notes

Information taken from incomplete manufacturer's label. See marks field.

Professor Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen discovered X-rays in December, 1895.

History

Notes

This X-ray tube is part of a collection donated on 22 October 1917, by Hon. H.M. Doyle to the Newcastle Museum (1890-1941). The Newcastle Museum was a branch of the Technological Museum (later called MAAS). When the Newcastle Museum closed in 1941, its collection was acquired by the Technological Museum.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article133209224 Filmer volunteered for Boer War
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article83250576 1897 Stereo X-rays to see depth of bullet
http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/8613184 book held by SLNSW
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article99420653 1897 Filmer radiographed mouse organs

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Hon Henry Martin Doyle, MLC, 1941

Acquisition Date

21 April 1941

Cite this Object

Harvard

X-Ray tube and support stand 2022, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 1 December 2022, <https://ma.as/238915>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/238915 |title=X-Ray tube and support stand |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=1 December 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}