We acknowledge Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and give respect to Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
H4146 Artificial flowers and leaf (23), 'Rhodoid', fluorescent cellulose acetate / metal, possibly made by May and Baker, England / Rowe P. Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia, c.1934. Click to enlarge.

Bouquet of 'Rhodoid' artificial flowers

Made
  • c.1934
These flowers were made from the fluorescent cellulose acetate plastic "Rhodoid" and were displayed in the Museum under an ultraviolet lamp. The development of cellulose acetate revolutionised the injection moulding process, which remains one of the primary ways to shape plastic. A wide variety of pigments, such as the fluorescent ones in these flowers, could be added to the cellulose acetate before moulding.

Plastics have been described as "materials that can be moulded or shaped into different forms under pressure or heat." They were a cultural phenomenon in the twentieth century when they changed the way objects were produced, designed and used. It was also in the twentieth century that most plastic products moved away from natural raw materials to synthetically produced ones; these flowers made of cellulose acetate remind us of the earlier era when most plastics were based on natural raw materials.

The museum's plastics collection began in the 1930s with the acquisition of specimens of plastic raw materials and finished products. The collection was driven largely by Arthur de Ramon Penfold (1890-1980), a former industrial chemist, who worked as curator and later director of the museum from 1927 until 1955.

Between 26 and 28 of September 1934, the Sydney Technical College and the museum collaborated to develop what was advocated as the first Plastics Industry Exhibition in Australia. A permanent display of plastics was established at the Museum, and was described by the Sunday Telegraph as 'the best display of plastics and fibres in the world show(ing) the complete history of plastics from first experiments to the latest developments'.

The Museum displayed numerous exhibits of cellulose acetate, under its various trade names, in different stages of manufacture, and as a variety of finished products.

These objects are a part of a large collection of plastics and plastic moulding powders acquired by the museum during Arthur Penfold's career. This collection gives an insight into a period of great social, material, technological and scientific development as well as the collecting practices of the museum at the time. Plastics continues to be an area that is explored and represented in the museum's collection, however today it reflects some of the more ambivalent attitudes towards plastics and their use, particularly in regards to the environment and sustainability.

Reference:

Sunday Telegraph, 'For plastics he saw great things', 11 November 1945.
M. Kaufman, the First Century of Plastics, The Plastics Institute, London, 1963. pg55

Written by Erika Dicker
Assistant Curator, March 2008

Summary

Object No.

H4146

Object Statement

Artificial flowers and leaf (23), 'Rhodoid', fluorescent cellulose acetate / metal, possibly made by May and Baker, England / Rowe P. Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia, c.1934

Physical Description

Artificial flowers (22), 'Rhodoid', fluorescent cellulose acetate, [May and Baker], [Australia], 1939

Marks

No marks

Production

Made

  • c.1934

Notes

These flowers are made from 'Rhodoid', a patented cellulose acetate plastic that can be made fluorescent or luminescent.

Cellulosic plastics are based on cellulose, which is the principal structural component of plants. The first cellulosic plastic was invented in 1852 by Alexander Parkes, who developed cellulose nitrate into a mouldable dough he called Parkesine. By 1860 it was being pressed into moulds to make billiard balls, pens, and even artificial teeth.

One of the problems with cellulose nitrate was that it was a highly flammable material. Its replacement with cellulose acetate, which was was first prepared in 1864, solved this problem. Cellulose acetate is made from wood or cotton fibres that are treated with acetic acid and acetic anhydride and then turned into a powder. This powder is mixed with other chemicals to produce a plastic dough. The dough can be made into sheets, rods or mixing powder. One of the first applications for cellulose acetate was as a safety film, used to coat the fabric wings of aeroplanes during World War I. Modified cellulose acetate was patented as the first injection moulding compound, revolutionising the plastics fabrication process.

These flowers show a finished product of injection moulded fluorescent cellulose acetate.

Reference:
Plastics Historical Society [2006], cellulose acetate fact sheet [online], Available at: http://www.plastiquarian.com/ca.htm accessed March 2008.
Early Plastics- perspectives 1850-1950, edited by Susan Mossman, Leicester University press, London, 1997

History

Notes

These flowers were purchased from the Government Stores department in 1939 and displayed in the Museum under a "black light" to highlight the fluorescent nature of the plastic.

In a report written by Arthur Penfold, on the influence of science museums on industry, he wrote the following; "we have found that the exhibition of artificial flowers made from fluorescent cellulose acetate, which fluoresce under the action of a 'black lamp' has stimulated manufacturers and advertising experts, to avail themselves of 'fluorescence' in their businesses. Such a display has been responsible for entirely new ideas on advertising, and it is one instance of how a modern science museum can become a museum of ideas for industry."

It is often perceived that plastics are a material of the twentieth century; however, its beginnings go back to eighteenth century Europe and conditions created by rapid industrialisation, scientific curiosity and opportunities to create great wealth through innovative and entrepreneurial ideas. Many of the semi-synthetic plastics of the nineteenth century and the synthetic plastics of the twentieth century were influenced by earlier manufacturing methods of making products out of natural plastics such as horn and tortoiseshell. The development of synthetic plastics, however, allowed for a product that was not subject to availability and fluctuating costs.

The Australian plastics processing industry began around 1917, growing significantly after World War Two. In 1939 production of plastics was around one thousand tonnes per year and fifty years later it had grown to around nine hundred thousand tonnes. New innovations in plastics, a rising population and increasing home ownership and household consumption were major influences on this growth. Today the plastics industry is one of Australia's largest manufacturing sectors.

Between 26 and 28 September 1934, the Sydney Technical College and the museum collaborated to develop what was advocated as the first Plastics Industry Exhibition in Australia. It is likely that this sample was displayed during this exhibition, along with the first permanent plastics display established at the museum. This exhibition was advocated as the first plastics exhibition in Australia. The museum contributed the majority of the exhibits, which included colourful moulded objects and synthetic resin powders. A feature of the exhibition was a working press mould that turned out plastic objects as the audience watched, lent by John Heine and Son. A Conversazione was held on the evening of 26th September, 1934 'to which prominent citizens, including representatives of the Plastics Industry were invited', and at which both Penfold and Dr N H Lang gave lectures on the plastics industry

A permanent display of plastics was established at the museum, and was described by the Sunday Telegraph as 'the best display of plastics and fibres in the world show(ing) the complete history of plastics from first experiments to the latest developments' . Penfold was greatly concerned with the technical and commercial development of local industries, such as the plastics industry, and believed that the museum was 'destined to play a conspicuous part in bringing Science to the aid of industry' through both research and display.

In December 1944 Penfold, along with Mr C H Hunt of Newcastle Technical College, was commissioned by the NSW Government to investigate overseas technological trends in the plastic industry, including the training of technical personnel, throughout the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. On his return Penfold continued to promote the importance of Australia's development of a vigorous research and training program in developing local technical expertise arguing that: 'The field is so vast and the potentialities of plastics is so promising, that no effort should be spared to provide adequate training for all persons wishing to acquire a knowledge of these new materials' .

Reference::
Chemlink Consultants, Australia's Chemical Industry - History and development, available at http://www.chemlink.com.au/chemhist.htm, accessed 08/08/2007.
Penfold, A. R., 'Reports on Plastics Investigation, 1945, in the United States of America, Canada and the United Kingdom', 31/10/1945
Penfold, A. R., paper, 'Recent Developments of Plastics Overseas', delivered before the Plastics Institute of Australia, NSW Section, 29/11/1945
Penfold, A. R., 'The Influence of Science Museums on Industry', read at the first Biannual Conference of International Council on Museums, 1948
Sunday Telegraph, 'For plastics he saw great things', 11/11/1945
Sydney Technological Museum, Annual Report, 1934
A. R. Penfold and F. R. Morrison, The Influence of Science Museums on Industry, museum archive MRS 307-12/1:13

Source

Credit Line

Purchased 1939

Acquisition Date

8 October 1939

Cite this Object

Harvard

Bouquet of 'Rhodoid' artificial flowers 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 16 April 2021, <https://ma.as/238525>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/238525 |title=Bouquet of 'Rhodoid' artificial flowers |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=16 April 2021 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}