This is a model of the HMS Armed Brig 'Supply', which played a central role in the establishment of the first European settlement in Australia. This vessel, together with the flagship Sirius, formed the armed escort for the First Fleet, which arrived in Port Jackson in 1788.
The Supply, commanded by Captain Henry Lidgbird Ball RN and with Fleet commander Captain Arthur Phillip also on board for the last leg of the journey, reached Botany Bay on 18 January 1788, two days before the rest of the Fleet. Finding the location unsuitable, Phillip moved the Fleet to Sydney Cove, Port Jackson, where he hoisted the British flag on 26 January 1788.
This fine 1:24 scale model of the Supply was built by retired Royal Australian Navy Lieutenant Commander Geoffrey Ingleton, probably Australia's foremost maritime historian, who had interests in publishing, cartography, drafting, etching, illustration, painting, printing and model making. There are some 3,600 brass nails fastening the deck planks of the model and a similar number in the side planking. It was commissioned, together with models of the HMS Supply and the Manly ferry "Dee Why" by the Australian Sesqui-Centenary Committee to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet in Port Jackson. The models were for display in a procession in Sydney entitled 'Australia's March to Nationhood'. Later in 1938 the models were presented to the Museum.
Assistant Curator, Transport