The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
H3321 Mouldboard plough, wood / iron, attributed to James Ruse, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, [1811]. Click to enlarge.

Mouldboard plough attributed to James Ruse

Made by Ruse, James in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, c1811.

This single-furrow mouldboard plough with timber handles, beam and mouldboard is rustic and handmade. It reflects farming in Australia in the early 1800s. The plough represents the struggle first settlers went through to cultivate the land, and their ingenuity in utilising what little supplies they had available to them. It is a highly significant piece of Australia’s farming history.

The first ploughs are thought to have been developed in Egypt around the 6th millennium BC. They were basic far...

Summary

Object No.

H3321

Object Statement

Mouldboard plough, wood / iron, attributed to James Ruse, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, [1811]

Physical Description

This is a home-made mouldboard plough constructed from the elbow of a tree branch.

The branch has been placed lengthways to form the mouldboard beam of the plough. An iron coulter (blade) is fixed into a slit in the wooden beam. The coulter rests on an angular shaped share that is formed by the lower section of the tree branch. Attached to the front of the mouldboard is a metal loop that allows the plough to attach to a team of horses. A second bolt and a set of notches near the metal loop allows the draw of the plough to be adjusted. Bolted to either side of the mouldboard are wooden wing-shaped rests or buttresses. Wooden chocks can be seen bolted behind each of the buttresses. These additions are designed to take the friction of the action and decrease the wear of the mouldboard. Two long handles with shaped grips are bolted at an obtuse angle at the rear of the mouldboard. The handles are joined in the midsection by a horizontal iron rod.

The primary purpose of ploughing is to turn over the upper layer of the soil, and allow fresh nutrients to nurture the surface. Ploughed soil is aerated, and will hold moisture much better than un-ploughed soil.

Dimensions

Height

850 mm

Width

450 mm

Production

Notes

James Ruse may have made this plough in approximately 1811, but this has not been fully substantiated. The plough is stated to have come from Ruse's Mulgrave Park property which was situated at Bottoms Road, Pitt Town, New South Wales.

History

Notes

The plough was donated by a descendant of James Ruse to the Powerhouse Museum in 1927. Oral history records that it was handed down through Ruse's family and came from his property in the Mulgrave Place area in the Hawkesbury region of New South Wales.

In 1782 James Ruse was convicted of burglarious breaking and entering in England and, while still paying penance for his crime, was sent to Australia with the First Fleet in 1787. His sentence was completed in 1789 and Governor Arthur Phillip granted Ruse one and a half acres of land to prove himself as a farmer. By 1791 he was producing enough crops to sustain himself and was granted a further 30 acres of land that became known as Experiment Farm. He was a hard-working and an enlightened farmer who was reported to have made effective use of the limited means at his disposal. Records show that Ruse sold Experiment Farm in 1793 and moved to the Hawkesbury region to establish Mulgrave Place and open up the region for agricultural activity.

The Experiment Farm site, in the Parramatta district, was acquired by the National Trust of Australia (NSW) in 1961. The plough was on display there from 1990 to 2004.

References:
Watkin Tench, Complete account of the settlement at Port Jackson New South Wales, London, 1758-1833.
Oral History from Neville Austin, Descendant of James Ruse, 1988, museum records.

Source

Credit Line

Presented by William Ashley, 1920

Acquisition Date

17 February 1927

Cite this Object

Harvard

Mouldboard plough attributed to James Ruse 2019, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 11 December 2019, <https://ma.as/236809>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/236809 |title=Mouldboard plough attributed to James Ruse |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=11 December 2019 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US