In 1860 Reverend William Scott, the first astronomer appointed to the new Sydney Observatory, ordered a new 7 1/4 inch refracting telescope. Arriving in June 1861 it was made by the German firm of Georg Merz & Sons (1793-1867). This lens also made by Merz & Sons was used in conjunction the Merz telescope. Like many of the instruments ordered by the observatory this telescope and lens were not without problems but overall they appear to have been a good purchase.
In 1870 the then Government Ast...
Copyright for the above image is held by MAAS and may be subject to third-party copyright restrictions. Please contact MAAS Rights and Permissions for information regarding reproduction, copyright and fees. Text is released under Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives licenceSubmit an image license enquiry.
This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.