The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.

No image is publicly available for this object

Due to the age of the Museum's collection, some objects have not been digitised yet. Images may also not be available due to copyright, cultural or privacy reasons.

Three pearl shell buttons on black card.

    This object is part of a collection which illustrates how pearl shell was made into pearl buttons in Sydney in the 1930s. The display was given to the Museum by The Pearlbutton Manufacturing Company of Foster Street, Sydney, in 1933.

    Pearl divers in places such as Thursday Island, Broome and Port Darwin harvested the Golden Lip pearl shell, (Pinctada maxima), from which the buttons were made. The shell was shipped to the Sydney factory for production. After cutting the button shaped pieces …

    Summary

    Object No.

    E5182-9

    Object Statement

    Three buttons sewn onto a card, part of a didactic collection showing how pearl buttons were made, pearl shell/cardboard, made by The Pearlbutton Manufacturing Co Ltd, Foster Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1933

    Physical Description


    Three pearl shell buttons sewn onto a black card.

    Dimensions

    Height

    58 mm

    Width

    37 mm

    Cite this Object

    Harvard

    Three pearl shell buttons on black card. 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 27 November 2022, <https://ma.as/228518>

    Wikipedia

    {{cite web |url=https://ma.as/228518 |title=Three pearl shell buttons on black card. |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=27 November 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}