The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
B2152 Horse Clipper, 'The Stewart', ballbearing, No 1 clipper, [Chicago] Flexible Shaft Company, Chicago, United States of America, patented in USA, Canada, England, Australia, NZ, Cuba, etc (SB).. Click to enlarge.

Stewart horse clipping machine

    This is a hand operated horse clipping machine made by the Chicago Flexible Shaft Co. of Chicago, Illinois, USA. Horse clipping machines were used to mechanically clip a horse's coat. It features a stand and a flexible shaft at the end of which is a clipper. Horse clipping machines were developed in the early part of the twentieth century. The practice of clipping horses is thought to have begun at the beginning of the nineteenth century when war horses were first clipped. This was an …

    Summary

    Object No.

    B2152

    Object Statement

    Horse Clipper, 'The Stewart', ballbearing, No 1 clipper, [Chicago] Flexible Shaft Company, Chicago, United States of America, patented in USA, Canada, England, Australia, NZ, Cuba, etc (SB).

    Physical Description

    Horse Clipper, "The Stewart", ballbearing, No 1 clipper, [Chicago] Flexible Shaft Company, Chicago, USA, patented in USA, Canada, England, Australia, NZ, Cuba, etc (SB).

    Dimensions

    Height

    930 mm

    Production

    Notes

    Chicago Flexible Shaft Co. was established in 1893 by John K. Stewart (1870-1916) and Thomas J. Clark (1869-1907) in Chicago, Illinois. The firm was incorporated in 1897 and made flexible drive shafts (horse clipping machines) and sheep shearing machinery. It was often abbreviated to the CFS Co. Stewart and Charles Timson of the English firm, Wm. Cooper & Nephews, joined together and formed the Cooper-Stewart Sheep Shearing Machinery Co in 1896 and sold the sheep shearing products through this new company. In 1903 Wm. Cooper & Nephews purchased half the Chicago Flexible Shaft Co. and the other half in 1908. In Australia their equipment was sold by the Cooper Sheep Shearing Machine Co. and in the UK by the Chicago Flexible Shaft Co. The firm was known as the Cooper-Stewart Engineering Co. after 1908. The firm was established in Australia in 1910 and an Australian factory opened in the Sydney suburb of Waterloo in 1933. This became the Sunbeam Corp. in 1946. A Sunbeam factory making Stewart clipping machines was operating in Toronto, Canada, in the late 1940s.

    Source

    Credit Line

    Purchased 1974

    Acquisition Date

    26 July 1974

    Cite this Object

    Harvard

    Stewart horse clipping machine 2020, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 1 August 2021, <https://ma.as/211145>

    Wikipedia

    {{cite web |url=https://ma.as/211145 |title=Stewart horse clipping machine |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=1 August 2021 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}