The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
B1991 Part of a single furrow mouldboard plough, iron, made by Avery, USA, used by William Farrer at Lambrigg, Canberra, Australia, 1875-1885. Click to enlarge.

Single share plough used at Lambrigg, Canberra

Made in England, 1875-1885.

This fine example of a single-share ironwork plough dates from around 1880. It was imported from England by William Farrer who developed the rust-resistant Federation wheat strain that provided a major boost to the Australian wheat industry. Farrer lived on a station in the Australian Capital Territory named ‘Limbrigg’ and wanted to use this plough for potato farming. His experiments with wheat however postponed his using the plough and after his death in 1906 it was relegated to the station dum...

Summary

Object No.

B1991

Object Statement

Part of a single furrow mouldboard plough, iron, made by Avery, USA, used by William Farrer at Lambrigg, Canberra, Australia, 1875-1885

Physical Description

Part of a single furrow mouldboard plough, iron, made by Avery, USA, used by William Farrer at Lambrigg, Canberra, Australia, 1875-1885

A wood and iron plough with raised text on either side of the main shaft. The surface of the plough shows some evidence of rust.

Marks

'AVERY' appears in raised letters on the main shaft of the plough

Dimensions

Height

600 mm

Width

430 mm

Production

Made

England 1875-1885

History

Notes

William Farrer had planned to do research on potatoes as well as wheat so he imported a potato plough from America. The wheat research was all consuming so the potato research had to be abandoned. The potato plough remained on the property, Lambrigg, where the timber handles rotted away. Fifty years later, John Bluett, was given the plough by the then owner of Lambrigg. They found the ironwork sitting among the rubbish on the farm. John Bluett built new wooden handles for the plough and used it to dig potatoes on his property, Girraween, Tidbinbilla near Lambrigg. He also used it on a farm named "Koorabri", Brindabella. John Bluett left Koorabri in 1971 and donated the plough to the museum in 1972.

The above information was supplied to the museum in 2004 by John Bluett's daughter, Bev Johnson. She supplied the text of a letter written by her grandfather, WP Bluett to Dame Mary Gilmore in 1952. The original letter resides with the Mitchell Library.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Mr J A Bluett, 1972

Acquisition Date

19 December 1972

Cite this Object

Harvard

Single share plough used at Lambrigg, Canberra 2019, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 11 December 2019, <https://ma.as/210357>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/210357 |title=Single share plough used at Lambrigg, Canberra |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=11 December 2019 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US