The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
B111 Model flying machine, flapping wing 'Experiment C', paper / wood / metal / plastic / string, made by Lawrence Hargrave, Rushcutters Bay, New South Wales, Australia, 1887. Click to enlarge.

Model flying machine ‘Experiment C’

Made by Hargrave, Lawrence in Rushcutters Bay, New South Wales, 1887.

The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences holds the largest collection of material internationally of the aviation pioneer, Lawrence Hargrave. While no single individual can be attributed to the invention of the aeroplane, Hargrave belonged to an elite body of scientists and researchers (along with Octave Chanute, Otto Lilienthal and Percy Sinclair Pilcher) whose experiments and inventions paved the way for the first powered, controlled flight achieved by the Wright Brothers on December 17, 1903.
...

Summary

Object No.

B111

Object Statement

Model flying machine, flapping wing 'Experiment C', paper / wood / metal / plastic / string, made by Lawrence Hargrave, Rushcutters Bay, New South Wales, Australia, 1887

Physical Description

Model flying machine made with a wooden beam as the fuselage with one long rectangular wing mounted along the top. Hinged cross bars form the flapping components which also have pointed wings. Wings have thin wooden frames and are covered in brown paper. There are two plastic wheels mounted near the tail. There are strings tied from the wing rods to the fuselage and a wooden winder is mounted under the wing hinges.

Marks

A white sticker with the number '5' is on the fuselage and in black ink on the proper right wing is '3' and on the proper left wing 'p'.

Dimensions

Height

230 mm

Width

1865 mm

Production

Notes

This flapping wing machine model, designated as 'Experiment C' was produced by Lawrence Hargrave in Rushcutters Bay, New South Wales, Australia in 1887.

The model is constructed from light wood and paper in the membrane of the plane and it is powered by twenty-four rubber bands in tension. As opposed to 'A' and 'B', 'Experiment C' utilizes glue for all the woodwork and lashings; there are no nails or wood screws in any part of the machine and the connecting rod has been replaced by two long eye-bolts, stiffened against compression by a slip of pine lashed between them. There is no device for steering. The paper used in the plane's membrane replaces a previous experiment using muslin (a type of cotton fabric), which was found to buckle under pressure.

According to Hargrave in his paper delivered to the Royal Society of New South Wales on June 1, 1887, 'Experiment C' marked the beginning of the evolution of the flapping wing model, foreshadowing the principle features of future models. Unlike 'Experiment A' and 'B', 'C' featured less parts. It also saw a shift in the centre of gravity to the front of the machine. Together, these changes resulted in a much easier and more graceful motion of the apparatus.

History

Notes

Hargrave's flapping wing machine models formed part of his earliest experiments between 1884 and 1892. They were conceived from a theoretical study conducted by Hargrave into the movement of animals like fish, snakes and jellyfish, as well as the movement of waves (a theory he famously dubbed at a Royal Society meeting as 'The Trochoided Plane'). This theory prompted him further into the study of birds and their anatomy and the use of flapping wings as a means for propulsion, hence the development of the flapping wing model. Altogether, Hargrave produced 19 India rubber powered flying machine models. His last one was tested on January 31, 1889.

Hargrave's initial models of this type were powered by clockwork, but he later replaced this with rubber bands and then compressed air and steam. The use of India rubber as a means of propulsion was first put forward by Sir George Cayley in 1853 and later by others, including Alphonse Penaud. Hargrave favoured this form of propulsion because the air currents initiated by the up stroke of the wings increased the efficiency of the down stroke. This meant there was no tendency for the machine to veer and there would be less chance of damage upon landing.

This particular model, which was tested on February 9, 1887, was found to fly 201 feet by 246 ft pounds of energy stored in the stretched elastic bands. The three subsequent models produced after this ('F', 'G' and 'H') all failed to fly at an equal or greater distance (their respective distances being 189 ft, 171 ft and 192 ft).

The second of four children of John Fletcher and Ann, Lawrence Hargrave was born at Greenwich, London on January 29, 1850. In 1856, Lawrence's father, eldest brother Ralph and uncle Edward emigrated to Australia in what appears to be a consensual marital separation between John and Ann. They were bound for Sydney to join a third brother of John and Edward, who was a member of the Legislative Assembly for New England (named Richard), while Ann, Lawrence and her two other children, Alice and Gilbert, stayed in Kent, England.

During his early years, Lawrence was educated at the Queen Elizabeth's School in Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmoreland, before he sailed to Australia in 1865 to join his father, brother and two uncles. John Fletcher, who was a distinguished judge in the New South Wales Supreme Court living at Rushcutters Bay House, anticipated a career for Lawrence in law. Despite organising tuition for him, Lawrence failed to matriculate, but was subsequently accepted to begin an apprenticeship with the Australasian Steam Navigation Company (ASN Co) in 1867. For five years he worked as an apprentice, gaining invaluable skills in woodworking, metalworking and design.

The circumnavigation voyage of Australia aboard the 'Ellesmere' (offered to Lawrence by another passenger en route to Australia from London) obviously stimulated an interest for Lawrence in exploration. From 1871, Lawrence joined the Committee of Management of J.D. Lang's New Guinea Prospecting Association and in 1872 was on board the brig 'Maria', bound for New Guinea in search of gold, when it sunk off Bramble reef, north Queensland, causing great loss of life. After returning to Sydney to work for the ASN Co, and later the engineers P.N. Russell & Co, Lawrence participated in several more exploratory voyages to the Torres Strait and New Guinea, accompanying figures like William Macleay, Octavius Stone and Luigi d'Albertis along the Fly River. These voyages continued until 1876, at which time Lawrence worked at the foundries of Chapman & Co, before choosing to settle down with new wife, Margaret Preston Johnson in September, 1878 with whom he had six children (Helen-Ann (Nellie), Hilda, Margaret, Brenda, Geoffrey and Brenda-Olive).

In January of the following year, Lawrence commenced work as an extra observer (astronomical) at Sydney Observatory under the Government astronomer H.C. Russell. In this role, Lawrence was able to make a number of important observations and inventions, including the transit of Mercury in 1881, the Krakatoa explosion in 1883 and the design and construction of adding machines. The income made from land bestowed to Lawrence by his father in Coalcliff, however, meant that in 1883 Lawrence was able to resign from his position at the Observatory to pursue his fascination and study into artificial flight. This interest came about from his observation of waves and animal motion, including fish, birds and snakes.

Lawrence's earliest experiments, spanning 1884-1892, involved propulsion with monoplane models built from light wood and paper. He first attempted to build a full-size machine capable of carrying a human in 1887 and in 1889 he built his most influential engine - a three cylinder radial rotary engine. Lawrence's later experimental phase, 1892-1909, involved the use of curved surfaces in his models. This research subsequently led to the development of the box kite, the most famous invention associated with his name.

Lawrence always conducted his experiments in his local area (i.e. Rushcutters Bay, Woollahra Point and Stanwell Park). He was against patenting his inventions for fear of stifling the development of aviation in the bigger picture and therefore published his results quickly and widely, particularly through the Royal Society of New South Wales. This Society helped Lawrence to gain an international reputation and brought him into contact with other aviation pioneers like Octave Chanute and Otto Lilienthal. The very first paper he gave was "The Trochoided Plane" (delivered August 6, 1884).

In Lawrence's later years he conducted research into early Australian history, postulating the theory that two Spanish ships found their way into Sydney Harbour in the late 16th century. Apart from this and of course his interests in aeronautics, Lawrence also concerned himself with the contemporary issues of patent laws, free competition, Darwinism, a bridge for Sydney Harbour, pensions, strikes and conscription.

Lawrence Hargrave died of peritonitis at Lister Hospital on July 6, 1915. Lawrence's death came only nine weeks after the death of his youngest son, Geoffrey, at Gallipoli.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Lawrence Hargrave, 1891

Acquisition Date

6 April 1891

Cite this Object

Harvard

Model flying machine 'Experiment C' 2019, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 20 August 2019, <https://ma.as/206892>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/206892 |title=Model flying machine 'Experiment C' |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=20 August 2019 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US