The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
A8764 Mug, Garden Palace, porcelain, made by Powell, Bishop & Stonier, England, 1875-1879. Click to enlarge.

A souvenir mug from the Sydney International Exhibition.

Made by Powell, Bishop and Stonier in Hanley, Staffordshire, England, circa 1879.

In 1879 Sydney held Australia’s first international exhibition, a showcase of invention and industry from around the world. An imposing Garden Palace was built in the Domain to house the exhibition. Visitors totalled 1,117,563, a remarkable achievement in a colony with only 650,000 inhabitants. After the Exhibition closed the Garden Palace was dedicated to the ‘recreation of the people’ (SMH, 23 September 1882), and a Technological, Industrial and Sanitary Museum set up in the south-west corner....

Summary

Object No.

A8764

Object Statement

Mug, Garden Palace, porcelain, made by Powell, Bishop & Stonier, England, 1875-1879

Physical Description

Mug, Garden Palace, Sydney International Exhibition 1879, porcelain, made by Powell, Bishop & Stonier, Hanley, Staffordshire, England, 1875-1879

The cylindrical porcelain mug has a slight flare at rimmed base. Brown transfer print of Sydney International Exhibition buildings run from handle around the front of the mug with 'INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION SYDNEY' printed in brown capital letters beneath the illustration. A blue band of colour runs around the mug at the base, a gold rim at the top and gold decoration on handle and around base.

Marks

On the base of the mug in blue ink is '3 / 2900' and a pattern in green featuring 2 entwined snakes.

Dimensions

Height

79 mm

Width

80 mm

Production

Notes

Powell, Bishop and Stonier was a Staffordshire pottery. Livesey Powell & Co was formed in 1845 by two potting families and the lawyer Frederick Bishop who provided financial support. Livesley retired in 1866 and the partnership became Powell and Bishop. In 1878 they were joined by John Stonier, a Liverpool glass and ceramics merchant. The company produced a range of ceramics and used transfer printing, moulded, painted and lustre decoration. Much of their production was exported with over one million different items being sent to New York in 1851. The company became Bishop and Stonier in 1891 and continued to trade until 1939.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Helen Wotton, 1983

Acquisition Date

20 January 1983

Cite this Object

Harvard

A souvenir mug from the Sydney International Exhibition. 2016, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 21 April 2019, <https://ma.as/199639>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/199639 |title=A souvenir mug from the Sydney International Exhibition. |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=21 April 2019 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Incomplete

This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US