The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
A10054 Collection of architectural elements from 'Canonbury', 159 Darling Point, Darling Point, designed by Clarence Backhouse, built by Porter and Green, New South Wales, Australia, 1904-1905. Click to enlarge.

Collection of architectural elements comprising

    These architectural fittings, comprising a cast-iron fire place surround, ceiling panels, stained glass windows, stained glass panels, and sections of a mahogany staircase, were salvaged in 1983 from the large Gothic style Federation house, 'Canonbury', at 192 Darling Point, in the Sydney suburb of Darling Point prior to its demolition that year. The two-storey house, built of brick with a slate roof and extensive cellars, had been completed in 1905 for the vaudeville comedian and theatre …

    Summary

    Object No.

    A10054

    Object Statement

    Collection of architectural elements from 'Canonbury', 159 Darling Point, Darling Point, designed by Clarence Backhouse, built by Porter and Green, New South Wales, Australia, 1904-1905

    Physical Description

    Collection of architectural elements comprising 1 cast-iron fire surround, 4 plaster ceiling panels, pair stained glass windows, 10 stained glass panels with pointed arch surrounds, 2 rectangular staircase panels, section of staircase, metal / ceramic / plaster / glass / wood , salvaged from Gothic style Federation house, 'Canonbury', 159 Darling Point, Darling Point, New South Wales, Australia, designed by Clarence Backhouse, built by Porter and Green, with stained glass and decorative work by Lyon, Cottier and Co., Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1904-1905

    History

    Notes

    'The Sydney Morning Herald' of 28 February 1905 described 'Canonbury' in some detail as 'A Palatial Residence':

    "This building has been recently erected from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. Clarence Backhouse, architect, and in working out the scheme for a complete and up-to-date residence no detail has been omitted. The drawing-room is a magnificent apartment nearly 30ft in length. The treatment is French Renaissance, with elaborately hand-carved over-doors, mantels, and overmantels. Upon one side of the room stands a large mirror framed in the beautiful carved wood of the above style. Combined with this, and forming a whole and complete design, are flower-stands and heavily upholstered seats. The ceiling is designed in the same style, as also are the dado and friezes. The general colour treatment is ivory and gold.

    The main hall is 30 feet in length and 15 feet wide. Rising from this to the floor above is the main staircase, one of the principal features of the house. The whole of this work is in mahogany of a deep rich colour, and finished with carved and moulded and panelled balustrading, handrails, and newels. Upon the tops of the newels are set handsome hammered iron and copper gas standards. The walls of the hall are finished in a deep red, with Spanish pigskin dado and frieze.

    Access to the billiard-room is from the hall, and all of those rooms are finished in a most artistic and quaint manner. The billiard-room fireplace is especially noticeable. It is built in red pressed bricks, with old-fashioned brick hobs and iron grate. From the mantle top to the ceiling extends the overmantel, fitted with cupboards and other conveniences necessary in such a room.

    The servants' quarters occupy a separate wing. They communicate with the kitchen offices below by a separate staircase. The stables stand at the back of the main building and give accommodation for six horses and six carriages. The boathouse and bathing-house, two separate buildings, have been erected on the foreshore in front of the house, and are in every way in keeping with the rest of the work.

    The whole of the work has been carried out by Messrs. Porter and Green, builders and contractors of Foveaux Street. The opalite tiling in special designs for the walls of all bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, pantries etc, has been supplied by and fixed by Mr. C. T. Cross. The Bagasse Company have supplied and fixed all of the ceilings in accordance with the architect's designs. The whole of the hammered iron and copper work, mantels, grates, range, and tilings are by Messrs. Holdsworth, Macpherson, and Co. Messrs. Lyon, Cottier, and Co. have carried out the decorative work and supplied all of the stained glass.

    It is now Mr. Rickards's Intention to call for tenders for the formation of the grounds in accordance with the plans prepared by the architect. These show the grounds, more than an aero in extent, terraced to the water's edge, and finishing at the foreshore with a seawall about 400 feet in length. When the whole of the grounds have been properly laid out and the undertaking complete in all detail the cost of the scheme, including land and buildings, will be somewhere about 20,000 pounds."

    Source

    Credit Line

    Gift of Nsw Health Department, 1984

    Acquisition Date

    28 March 1984

    Cite this Object

    Harvard

    Collection of architectural elements comprising 2022, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 8 August 2022, <https://ma.as/168347>

    Wikipedia

    {{cite web |url=https://ma.as/168347 |title=Collection of architectural elements comprising |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=8 August 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}