The Mini is credited with revolutionising the popularity of small car motoring in Australia and the world. It was designed in England by Alex Issigonis and was innovative in both body design and mechanical layout. It went on sale in England in 1959 and in January 1961 production began in Australia at the British Motor Corporation's plant at Zetland, NSW. In March 1969 the Mini K model was released in Australia comprising 80 percent local content and complete with kangaroo decals.
The 25-year production run was the longest of any British car and in February 1986 the 5,000,000th Mini was completed. With its east west engine and front wheel drive it became the standard mechanical layout for successive small cars from the 1980s. The Mini achieved cult status and was successfully raced in many areas of motorsport. Production ceased in Australia in October 1978.
This 1970 Leyland Mini K is a two-door sedan with off-white interior. The car has been resprayed in its original colour 'Damson Purple'. The engine is a 1098cc 4-cylinder unit with a single SU carburettor. It was built at BMC's Sydney plant at Zetland and used as a family car.