NotesThe drawings were executed by the owners of the W S Grice Motor Body Works, Mr William Stanley Grice and Mr Oliver Grice.
The collection of drawings comprises 16 bus and parlour coach drawings, three for ambulances and one for a caravan. The drawings were all donated by Jack Laws, formerly an apprentice and later owner of W.S. Grice, Motor Body Works, of 73 Carlton Crescent, Summer Hill. He remained with the firm until his retirement in 1985 aged 65.
The W.S. Grice Motor Body Works were established in about 1927 by two brothers, Walter Stanley Grice (Stanley) and Oliver Grice (Ollie). They formerly worked for E.E. Agate of 55 Junction Road, Summer Hill, but moved to their own workshop in Carlton Crescent, Carlton. The building, which still survives, was formerly a service station is now a car repair workshop.
By 1934 the Grice Motor Body Works was one of thirty nine similar motor body building firms in New South Wales engaged in producing motor body building firms in New South Wales engaged in producing bodies for delivery vans, trucks and buses. Most of these were commercial establishments but Grice's was a specialist workshop devoted to producing bodies for buses, parlour coaches, ambulances and hearses.
It should be noted that parlour coaches differed from standard buses in that they were for the tourist trade. They were similar to buses in that they were also multi-passenger vehicles but had no room for standing passengers. They featured a separate door for the driver and a row of doors on the passenger side numbering from between 3 and 5 for the extra comfort of passengers. The parlour coaches were more luxuriously equipped than buses, had more comfortable leather lounge seats, and were especially designed for long distance tourist travel and touring. In appearance they resembled elongated or stretched cars of the late 1930s and early 1940s.
The drawings were all produced by the Grice brothers and most are the original plans submitted to the Department of Transport for approval. They were commissioned by various private bus companies all over the State including those in Nelson Bay, Nowra, Armidale, Tea Gardens, Yamba and Bulladelah as well as those from the Sydney suburbs of Lidcombe and Pennant Hills. One bus drawing was for a bus body commissioned by the Australian Red Cross.
The bus and parlour coach bodies were built on to imported chassis from various companies including Ford, Fargo, Dodge, Chevrolet, White and International.
The donor, Mr Jack Laws, travelled by one of the Grice parlour coaches from Newcastle to Tea Gardens on his honeymoon.
MadeW S Grice Motor Body Works 1939-1965