Contraceptive device, cervico-uterine, ‘wishbone’ pessary, gold, maker unknown, place unknown, [1930].

Made [1930]

Towards the end of the 19th century intra cervical devices, most of them made of metal, began to be used for contraception. These ‘stem’ pessaries had a button lodged against the vaginal wall, with a stem protruding into the uterus through the cervix. Intra-uterine devices on the other hand are inserted completely within the uterus. These first appeared early in the 20th century. A very widely used intra-uterine device was the silver Grafenburg ring, developed around 1928. It was still being ins...

Summary

Object No.

94/147/1

Physical Description

Contraceptive device, cervico-uterine, 'wishbone' pessary, gold, maker unknown, place unknown, [1930].

18 carat gold device, consisting of circular gold "button" and double stem of gold wire. Circular gold form, with central portion cut out & central horizontal bar, circumference marked "SOLID GOLD". Double stem of gold wire fixed from central bar. Nearest portion to bar is spiral with splayed 'legs' ending in ovoid forms. The device was held in place in the uterus by its 2 prongs. For insertion, the prongs would have been held together with gelatine, which was subsequently melted by body warmth.

Dimensions

Height

65 mm

Depth

25 mm

Production

Notes

Devised around 1880 in Germany and patented by Carl Hollweg in 1902.

Available in the late 19th century and still being listed in the medical catalogues in the 1930s.

Made

[1930]

History

Notes

Part of donor's private collection

Source

Credit Line

Gift of the Royal Hospital for Women, Sydney, 1994

Acquisition Date

28 June 1994

Cite this Object

Harvard

Contraceptive device, cervico-uterine, 'wishbone' pessary, gold, maker unknown, place unknown, [1930]. 2018, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 22 September 2018, <https://ma.as/138851>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/138851 |title=Contraceptive device, cervico-uterine, 'wishbone' pessary, gold, maker unknown, place unknown, [1930]. |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=22 September 2018 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Incomplete

This object record is currently incomplete. Other information may exist in a non-digital form. The Museum continues to update and add new research to collection records.

Know more about this object?

TELL US

Have a question about this object?

ASK US