This sectioned and operating locomotive is a 7¼-inch (18.4 cm) gauge, 1:8 scale model of the Beyer-Garratt engines built by Beyer, Peacock & Co., Manchester, England. The model carries the number "6001" and represents the first of the Beyer Garratt AD60 class heavy goods locomotives supplied to the New South Wales Government Railways from 1952. These were the most sophisticated steam locomotives in use in NSW just prior to the withdrawal of steam from the State's railways. They were the ultimate in steam engine design and the most powerful engines to operate in Australia if not the Southern Hemisphere. Fitted with mechanical stokers, dual driver controls and capable of doing the work of two standard goods engines, they were used to haul freight including wheat, coal and ore concentrate.
The model was made in Sydney over a decade from 1963 by apprentices of the New South Wales Government Railways at Eveleigh and later Chullora, to teach casting, pattern making and machining. At the time the full-size Beyer-Garratt locomotives were at their peak of operation on the New South Wales Government Railways. The model illustrates the New South Wales rail apprentices' skill in metal work and is a significant aspect of apprentice training in New South Wales.
Grunbach, Alex, "A Compendium of New South Wales Steam Locomotives", ARHS, New South Wales Div, 1989.
"The Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin", No.357, July, 1967.
"A Guide, and Book of Special Instructions, for Locomotive Engine Drivers, Firemen and Trainee Enginemen", Department of Railways, New South Wales Mechanical Branch, 1963, pp.14-16.
Assistant Curator, Science & Industry