NotesElkington / Victoria and Albert Museum stock number 1872 - 40
The original Elkington catalogue entry reads 'CUP, known as the "JAMNITZER CUP." The body is in the form of lobes, repousse, and chiselled with elaborate ornament in strapwork, flowers and fruits, figures of Diana, Lucretia, and Judith, terminal figures, masks &c. The stem is of bauster shape, decorated with rams' heads, clusters of fruit and scrolls, and terminates in a tripod base, resting upon the tri-lobed foot of the cup, round the upper part of which runs a band of ornament enriching three bosses. The original, of silver, is attributed to Wenzel Jamnitzer, the celebrated godsmith of Nuremberg (b. 1508, d. 1585); it was recently the property of the Goldsmiths' Guild of that city, and is now in the South Kensington Museum, No. 150-1872. Germany (Nuremberg). 16th centy...Messrs. Elkington and Co. silvered and oxydised'
(From the catalogue : by Elkington, (Contributors South Kensington Museum), 'Inventory of reproductions in metal : manufactured by Elkington comprising, in addition to those available for sale to the public, electrolytes bought or made specially for the use of the South Kensington Museum and Schools of Art, copied by special permission from originals in the imperial and government collection', London : Science and Art Dept., of the Committee of Council on Education, South Kensington Museum, [18--?])