The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
92/898 Earthenware vase, with two-tone glaze of light brown on yellow, made by Pates Potteries Pty Ltd, Lakemba Street, Belmore, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1946-1960. Click to enlarge.

A Pates Potteries Vase with scalloped rim.

Designed
Alfred Pate learnt to throw pottery in 1933 while working in the Bristolware Department at the Fowler pottery company. Pate began experimenting with the production of pottery from his garage in Campsie, and sold his wares throughout the neighbourhood. Increased demand encouraged Pate to expand and formally establish his business and in 1946 Pates Potteries Pty Ltd was formally registered, operating from a factory in Belmore. Capitalising on a post-war market with an increased demand for …

Summary

Object No.

92/898

Object Statement

Earthenware vase, with two-tone glaze of light brown on yellow, made by Pates Potteries Pty Ltd, Lakemba Street, Belmore, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1946-1960

Physical Description

Vase, earthenware, with two-tone glaze of light brown on yellow, made by Pates Potteries Pty Ltd, Lakemba Street, Belmore, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1946-1960

A slip-cast earthenware vase that has a lobed spherical form with a scalloped rim. The vase features a two toned glaze with a light brown glaze on the top and a yellow glaze towards the base of the vase.

Marks

A pinted mark in black on the bottom of the vase reads 'PATES / POTTERIES / SYDNEY / AUSTRALIA'.

Dimensions

Height

90 mm

Production

Notes

Pottery situated at 61 Lakemba Street, Belmore, Sydney.

History

Notes

Alf Pate learnt to throw pottery at the Fowler Company in 1933, and began making and selling his own wares from his garage in Campsie. The popularity of his wares led Alf, assisted by his brother John and nephew Ron, to formally established Pates Potteries in 1946. The factory was constructed from Ex-Army Huts in Lakemba and operated until 1990. At its height in the 1950s Pates employed up to 95 staff.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Dr David H Chamberlain under the Tax Incentives for the Arts Scheme, 1992

Acquisition Date

29 June 1992

Cite this Object

Harvard

A Pates Potteries Vase with scalloped rim. 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 5 December 2022, <https://ma.as/128278>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/128278 |title=A Pates Potteries Vase with scalloped rim. |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=5 December 2022 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}