Silver napkin ring

Made by Wendt, Joachim Matthias in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, c1880-97.

This napkin ring belongs to the collection of silver and EPNS (electroplated nickel silver) tableware, trophies, napkin rings and spoons made and/or used in Australia between the 1890s and 1950s. Presented to the Museum in 2002, the collection was assembled in the 1980s and 1990s by Professor G W Kenneth Cavill, an Emeritus Professor of the University of New South Wales. In his retirement, Professor Cavill has researched and published the histories of notable early 20th century Australian silver...

Summary

2002/81/2
Napkin ring, sterling silver, J. M. Wendt, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1880 - 1897

Circular band with ornate engraved decoration on one side of two conjoined diamonds enclosing initials WW with floral frame each side. Engraved boarder around top and bottom edge.

Stamped marks on interior 'J.M WENDT / JEWELLE[RY] / ADELAIDE / & / BROKEN HILL', also three British-style pseudo hallmarks

Dimensions

34 mm

Production

Jochim Mathias Wendt (1830-1917) arrived in Australia in 1854. He established Wendt Jewellers in Adelaide in 1854 and began a career of over 30 years as a leading retailer and manufacturer of jewellery and silver. By 1887 Wendt's Rundle Street business was employing 12 craftspeople and assistants. Wendt retired in 1903 and the business was taken over by his Jule and stepson Herman Koeppen Wendt.
Wendt, Joachim Matthias c1880-97

Source

Donated through the Australian Government Cultural Gifts Program by Professor Kenneth Cavill, 2002
5 August, 2002

Cite this Object

Silver napkin ring 2013, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 22 November 2017, <https://ma.as/11652>
{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/11652 |title=Silver napkin ring |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=22 November 2017 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}
Know more about this object?
TELL US
Have a question about this object?
ASK US