This piano is one of only a few surviving instruments by one of Australia's early piano makers, Hamblin of Kyneton, Victoria wich was established by Joseph Hamblin in Kyneton during the 1870s. Judging by the style of the instrument Hamblin Brothers may have been established during the 1880s. The firm was an exhibitor at the Centennial International Exhibition, Melbourne in 1888-1889. Under the name of Hamblin and Sons of High Street, Kyneton they made a range of different sized pianos with iron frames and finished in native walnut. An instrument dating from about 1870 is in the Kyneton Shire Museum.
During the late nineteenth century in Victoria a number of piano making businesses were established, possibly as a result of the the wealth generated by the gold rushes and the growth of a wealthy middle class eager to include the civilising influence of the piano in their households. Other Victorian makers during this period included Joseph Kilner, Jabez Carnegie, John Cathy of Ballarat and WR Blazey. These makers are often overlooked as the larger and more popular names of Wertheim and Beale have dominated histories about piano making in Australia.